Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7

profile.country.en_IT.title
rarp65
Visitor

Windows 7

I have a Vaio VGN SZ3Xp/C with Xp/pro installed on. It is getting to its third anniversary and I have never bothered to install Vista when it came out the year after this notebook was bought... Now Windows 7 is about to come on the scene and the reviews about it are "positive". As anybody thought about how and if it will be possible/useful to upgrade or do a clean install to this new OS when it comes out, also considering that XP is probably going out of support by Microsoft?
Thanks for coments, opinions etc.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rarp,

I suggest that you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta .

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rarp65
Visitor

I was wondering when I wrote my message whether Sony had some of their advise in place already for their Vaio's that weren't exactly new but neither to be disposed off so quickly. I did check the windows 7 upgrade as you have suggested but as it is a Beta I had some difficulties with the proposed links for the manufacturers of some of the devices that didn't work, in the sense that the links seemed broken (browser page didn't open).
For instances the software that accompanies the fingerprint checkup from Protector Suite QL would need some driver upgrade according to that advisory, but as there wasn't any upgrade to accomodate explorer 7 or 8(it doesn't work in the secondary tabs) and didn't work with Firefox 3 and up, I don't expect that this hardware/software house has really dedicated any time to this.

Thanks for any advice...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

For instances the software that accompanies the fingerprint checkup from Protector Suite QL would need some driver upgrade according to that advisory, but as there wasn't any upgrade to accomodate explorer 7 or 8(it doesn't work in the secondary tabs) and didn't work with Firefox 3 and up, I don't expect that this hardware/software house has really dedicated any time to this.

I don’t think that Sony have/will provide updated software for this device and even under Vista, Firefox 3.5.3 will not work with the supplied software, but version 5.8.2 of Protector Suite QL does work.

I am not sure whether this is related to the Win7 problem but I have sent you a PM detailing how to obtain the version in question.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rarp65
Visitor

Ok, I will wait for your PM. And thanks.
rarp

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rarp,

I have resent PM. Please advise whether it arrives this time...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rarp65
Visitor

I got yur PM. Can you or anybody tell me why is it that after sales follow-up of Sony for its Vaio's customers is so how should I put it below standards for a company that pretends to sell such nice notebooks? Why is it that one needs to go look for it instead of getting some upgrades via Vaio update? This is the fast way to loose customers in my view...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I got yur PM. Can you or anybody tell me why is it that after sales follow-up of Sony for its Vaio's customers is so how should I put it below standards for a company that pretends to sell such nice notebooks? Why is it that one needs to go look for it instead of getting some upgrades via Vaio update? This is the fast way to loose customers in my view...

Profits :slight_frown:

I take it that the solution I suggested worked?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rarp65
Visitor

Not exactly. Had some trouble with the mysafe conversion. But otherwise the installation was ok. Thanks again. btw why didn't you post the solution in this forum? Profits problems again? :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks again. btw why didn't you post the solution in this forum?

Only reason is that I am not sure whether the solution is legit or not. Using third party software etc....

I'm no legal eagle and would rather steer on the course of caution, but I'm always happy to help where I can :wink:

I can assure you that Sony's profits have no measure in any post that I make on this forum :wink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat