Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless Lan Card

profile.country.en_IE.title
fiomurph
Visitor

Wireless Lan Card

Hi friends,
Can anyone help me, I have purchased another laptop, (Sony), and at the moment I use a Router for the Internet connection, this new laptop has to have a wireless card inserted, now, will any wireless card do or does it have to match what it says on my router!! which is 802.11b.
I am not into Internet connections, so need some help and any other advice on which brand to buy.
Thanks Fiona. :laughing:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

If I was doing it I would stick with the same manufacturer as your router just to avoid any incompatiblity issues.

You could go for either a usb wireless stick or a PCMCIA card and there should be no problems whatsoever. :slight_smile:

Just note that with most PCMCIA cards it is necessary to first install the drivers that will come with this card before inserting the card into your machine. Make sure you read the instructions that come with the card before proceeding.

profile.country.en_IE.title
fiomurph
Visitor

Hi Jumpsuit,
Thanks for that, unfortunately there is no make on my router! I bought it on Ebay from Japan! only that reference 802.11b on the front of it!!
Thanks for help. :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

My pleasure. Maybe post a picture of it? Or if you have the listing still in your ebay account you could get more info from that?