Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless network

Lippy
Visitor

Wireless network

Hi All,
I've just bought a VGC-V2S and am generally very pleased with it. The one problem I'm having, and I don't think it's solely down to the Vaio, is that I can't get it to network. I am using the modem through the network, wirelessly, but I can't file share or see any sign of it on the other computers on the network. It's the same for all of them. I'm using a Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL Gateway connected to a PC by Ethernet RJ45 jack, a toshiba laptop wtih appropriate PCMCIA wireless card and the VAIO with it's resident wireless adaptor. They all seem to communicate with the Gateway but I need to share files between them and can't.
Any ideas?
Lippy:smileysad:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Try temporarly turning off your firewall.

Lippy
Visitor

Hi Keelo,
Yep, it was a firewall problem. Wonder of wonders, I actually managed to solve it before I got your suggestion, well proud of myself, I am. Strange with these techy things that you just have to press one button and everything falls into place but without the button press, gibberish! Guess that's about it being digital rather than organic?
Thanks for your input,
Lippy

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well done on a good job

tags
Visitor

Hi,

I am running the same setup, V2s and a linksys WAG54G router. Make sure you have your router setup to stop unwanted intruders. It has a very good inbuilt firewall. Also, are you letting the router handle your DHCP? Lastly, with many people going wireless, make sure you set up some wep encrytion and even only allow access from known network adaptors in your wireless security. Let me know if you need more help with all this i will do some step-by-steps etc.