Join now - be part of our community!

YES!!! YES!!!

Eugenepang
Visitor

YES!!! YES!!!

Well a month ago i was thinking about upgrading my vaio A317S memory to 1G.. i check on sony site and yikes.. very ery expensive.. so i check up crucial.. and yes! its alooooot cheaper! 1x512mb is £50.51 inc vat. so i would need 2x512mb which will cost me £101.2 inc vat. which is still alot cheaper than sony.. but then i think again what if i wanted to upgrade to 2G??? hmm so i put it on hold.. untill

Today!.. i check crucial up again and yes they now had 1x1GB memory haha and it cost £104.56 inc vat which i think is very very good!.. order it and now i am waiting for it to arrive... and hopefully everything will be fine when i install it...

BTW since i bought 1x1GB ram which only use 1 memory slot.. can i leave the 1x256mb (original memory) in the other slot? so i can had 1GB+256MB ram?

46 REPLIES 46
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

BTW since i bought 1x1GB ram which only use 1 memory slot.. can i leave the 1x256mb (original memory) in the other slot? so i can had 1GB+256MB ram?

I think not, it is a problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Depends if it's the same timing, as Seb said it can cause problems.

CaseMillennium
Visitor

Should be no problem. However, you should be aware that your laptop will be a littlebit slower since you loose the dual-channel mode for memory access. This mode only works with two identical modules in respect of size and timing.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah that happens, and 256MB extra doesn't make much difference, I never use the full 1GB

gfaelli
Visitor

...and yes! its alooooot cheaper! 1x512mb is £50.51 inc vat. so i would need 2x512mb which will cost me £101.2 inc vat. which is still alot cheaper ...

Where did you get it from?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gfaelli
Visitor

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

thanks...

Eugenepang
Visitor

har right.. just didnt want to waste a good empty slot ahahha greedy am i? :laughing: :laughing: well maybe just leave it empty till i think its about time to upgrade it to 2G :laughing: :laughing:

The thing is i always used up more than 400MB of my 512MB memory

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yeah, 512MB are really the minimum. IMO
After the systemstart was 50 % of the RAM used. And after some hours it was 70 %. I think if I would upgrade to Longhorn next year, then I must upgrade the RAM too.