Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
verisans
New

I'm experiencing this too. As I'm living in Norway, this is going to be a big problem for me, if they don't fix it. The touch controls become unreliable around +3 degrees, but now that it's -3 degrees it’s not working at all. 

profile.country.GB.title
Cosmonor
Explorer

I experience these problems as well. I live in Norway, and after a while outside in temperatures below 3 degrees celcius, either Siri kicks in, or the music gets muted and the touch panel stops working. I love the sound and the noise cancelling on these headphones, but it is really important to me that I can use them outside even if it's cold. I am very disappointed as I have used a lot of money on these.

profile.country.IE.title
Cochlea
Explorer

I just have an update on my prior posts about this issue (can't keep track of which Sony site I posted on initially).  Anyway, I called Sony from the US again as I had been experiencing the same problems (fritzy touch panel in cold or windy weather, random activatoin of voice assist, skipping tracks, play/pause).  For a while all Sony support had been telling me they were unaware of the issue.  My last round on the phone with them I could still not get clarification and was told the issue was under investigation.  I sort of pushed the issue and requested an exchange anyway.  Eventually, the support person acknowledged this is a problem they have been experiencing on some but not all units and that they have not figured out what is responsible.  They agreed to exchange but I got two conflicting pieces of information.  (1) he could not guarantee the replacement unit would not work.  (2) when I confirmed I would still be elgible for whatever fix/recall/etc would be offered in the future if my new unit wasn't working, he told me the new unit should work as they would send one of the functioning units.  That seems to imply they have some awareness of which units are working and which are not.  Anyway, hard to know what is really going on but it seems there is some hope that some functions will function properly and that it is not widespread.  Hopefully it is not a general vulnerability that will eventually affect all units.  I will try to post an update once I get the unit and am able to test it outside for a while (in the winter).  In the meantime, hope this is useful.  I guess the options for everyone are (1) keep it and use a wire in the cold, (2) full return and wait until Sony resolves the issue, (3) full return and get something else, or (4) try to replace it with Sony and hope the replacement unit works.  I did (4) and hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot but my reasoning is that I would likely benefit anyway from any recall or fix offered in the future if my new unit was malfunctioning.

QINGYIN
New

Control pannel is not working at all in coldness

profile.country.GB.title
pepite_

Here is the answer I got from customer support norway about this issue:

Thank you for contacting SONY Support.

I'm sorry to see you experiencing challenges with your headphones.

Unfortunately, electrical products may be affected by the weather.

You have probably noticed this with your mobile phone, if it is experiencing direct sun or that it is very cold.

If the temperature drops a lot or it is very cold wind, perhaps combined with water / humidity in the air, this could affect the functionality of such products.

Such a reaction will then be within the specifications of the product.

Should there be an update or change to this in the future, this will be communicated via SONY's public channels.

Until this happens, you will unfortunately have to live with this limitation.

We understand that it can be frustrating with several different answers found online, but unfortunately we can not comment on cases we do not directly work with here.

Should you have any other questions or want further assistance, feel free to contact us again.

I am obviously not very happy about it: "sorry that you bought anexpensive defective piece of electronic, live with it/tough luck". That is great customer support. What about warranty  / refund? The issues occurred from 7-8 degree Celsiuse and below, well within the operating temperature mentioned in the manual linked.

profile.country.NO.title
xsikve
New

### Registered this case: 

The wh-1000xm3 is not working in cold weather! What happens is this, the right side touch controls runs "ballistic" when outside in -3 Celsius. The touch controls are simply not responding correctly. Music can suddenly STOP, SKIP, then "Siri" comes out from "nowhere". I have been googling this issue, and many people have registered this issue within SONY Support (ref. REDDIT and SONY Communities).

Well SONY, this is a pricey high-end product, and as a consumer, I really need information in regards to mitigating actions.

a) Can SONY confirm that they are aware of this issue?
b) Could a FIRMWARE update fix this (e.g. disabling the touch controls)?
c) While I have your attention, please update to have BT multipairing?

Please advise us/the community!
Because I really love the sound quality and the NC.

*If this is not addressed and fixed - myself and many other would have to switch for another brand!

### ...and this is their answer 😕

(was in Norwegian, and I did google translate)

I'm sorry to see you experiencing challenges with your headphones.

Unfortunately, electrical products may be affected by the weather.

You have probably noticed this with your mobile phone, if it is experiencing direct sun or that it is very cold.

If the temperature drops a lot or it is very cold wind, perhaps combined with water / humidity in the air, this could affect the functionality of such products.

Such a reaction will then be within the specifications of the product.

Should there be an update or change to this in the future, this will be communicated via SONY's public channels.

Until this happens, you will unfortunately have to deal with this restriction.

We understand that it may seem frustrating with several different answers to find online, but unfortunately we can not relate to or comment on things we do not directly work with.

Compared to your query about multiple connections for the product, this is already possible.

Read how to connect your mobile and music player at the same time.

To connect two android phones at the same time, please follow the steps on this page.

For more tips and advice on your headphones, read more in this handy help guide.

Should you have any other questions or want further assistance, just contact us again.

Your reference number is 17774497.

Pasuser
New

Hi,

Bought these nice earpnones 2 weeks ago. As soon at the weather got colder, I had problems with muting, controls not working etc. This is in Norway!

Sony - please fix this problem!!!

profile.country.GB.title
yaylas
New

Mine does not only mute but also makes voice activated calls when exposed to cold.  I like to wear them when out in the cold to keep my ears warm and to listen to radio/music. The malfunction destroys the experience. It seems to help if I press my palm onto the touch sensitive surface but only temporarily (most likely because it gets warmed up by my hand). It also helps to wear a thin wool fabric over; touch works thru the fabric so it helps some.

I also noticed that when using the headphone with a wire the touch controls do not work. That is a back step compared to controls on cable.

On voice calls I get complaints about not being heard; it helps to keep the hand or the telephone as a voice reflector near my mouth. This is also a back step compared to controls with mic on cable.

The touch controls are easily fooled by my collar, coat hood etc.. That is very annoying when I am already encumbered by coat , bag, etc..

Otherwise I enjoy the headphones, I studied the phone application but found for the time being no use of value for my needs.

profile.country.NO.title
virbalo
Explorer

Have the same problem with my XM3's now that the temperature is around 0 celsius.

Tweet about this issue to, for example UnboxTherapy or any other tech reviewer. Get people aware of this malfunction. Maybe they will issue a fix if there is a lot of attention instead of just customer support emails. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @virbalo,

there is not not necessary a need for this, since Sony is already investigating.

- Nic