Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

Hey, me too!
The headphones went berserk yesterday morning for a rather long time.

But then, it was unusually cold that particular morning.

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

The new Denon AH-GC30s headphones look like a potential replacement. Physical buttons too! Will have to keep an eye out for a review.

profile.country.GB.title
Mirvais
Explorer

Has anyone seen any official statement from Sony about are they fixing this issue or not?

Or is this just "normal" behaviour for these headphones to not work correctly if temperature is below +5 celsius. Sadly resellers don't mention in their webpages that these headphones are for indoor use only, so more and more disappointed customers will come..

I got message from my Sony service that they have changed "SUB MOUNTED PC BOARD ASSY, SV." and they have now booked transport, so I should have my headphones back from service at the beginning of next week. I will tell to you has this repair fixed this problem or not.

profile.country.GB.title
pepite_

Just to give an update, since I received my headphones from service (board was changed) I did not get a single issue.
The past few days the temp dropped below freezing and I would previously have had issues, no questions, but now, everything is fine.

I do not know why they do not release any statement or tell anyone complaining that there is a fix. Maybe they only fix the headphones that are sent to service, but they do not explicity advise anyone to do so?

Cheers everyone

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

That's a very interesting update, thanks pepite_

Sony will as you suggest, very likely be looking to reduce the cost impact - bearing in mind the product's popularity and likely high volumes of sales, the returns-rate will explode if they make an announcement.....

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

@andrew_ashby wrote:

That's a very interesting update, thanks pepite_

Sony will as you suggest, very likely be looking to reduce the cost impact - bearing in mind the product's popularity and likely high volumes of sales, the returns-rate will explode if they make an announcement.....

That's a fair point, but the only reason I returned mine was that they refused to acknowledge a fix existed - despite specifically asking them on numerous occasions. If they'd told me they could fix them, I'd likely still have them now. (Their online statement still has not been updated since December.)

The thing is, if I only ever used them indoors at home I'd not have an issue, and would probably be happy with them as they were. I'd imagine the same goes for a huge percentage of their current customers who are likely oblivous of the problem. As such, I don't think the returns rate would be that high, because it would be a voluntary return (if you had issues, and went looking for a fix) and not a compulsory safety recall or something like that.

The frustrating thing is, much as I'd still love another pair, I'm not going to buy them again, because I've no way of knowing if they're being fixed at source, or on demand!

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

Don't get me wrong - I entirely get your thinking and approach given the lamentable lack of information released to those of us that are affected and taking the time to ask the questions - that deserve proper answers...  😕

However, call me cynical but I'd put money on that being the reason they are saying as little as possible.

Cheers,

A.

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

However, call me cynical but I'd put money on that being the reason they are saying as little as possible.

Yes indeed, I think you're probably right... proper answers were all I required to reassure me, but all I got was customer service ignoring the questions like a slippery polititian, and because of that they lost my vote.

profile.country.SE.title
johane73

@Mirvais wrote:

Has anyone seen any official statement from Sony about are they fixing this issue or not?

I emailed support here in Sweden earlier in the week to ask for an update and they only referred back to the December statement...

Aki.ko
New

I am also having this issue