Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.GB.title
Mirvais
Explorer

I got my headphones back from service yesterday. Today morning was first time I used them outside. I turned headphones on inside home, went outside to -5 celsius and they worked perfectly those 15 minutes which i spended outside, I didn't have any issues which I had before. But I'm not gonna say that these work without any issues yet, I need few more days of testing first..

Sure ANC is not as good as it was before 4.11 firmware, but that is just software issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Mirvais
Explorer

I have used my headphones one week now after service. Local outsourced Sony service shop changed "SUB MOUNTED PC BOARD ASSY, SV." from headphones. During this one week test period outside temperatures has been around -9 to +3 celsius here in Finland. After service I haven't had any issues with touch panel any more. 😃 Before it was nightmare all the time with touch panel.

So at least for me this repair fixed headphones, of course I can't talk about long term durability yet, that we will see next winter...

profile.country.BR.title
NanBueno
Explorer

That is good news.

Guys, do you think that Sony started to manufactaring the headphones with the new SUB MOUNTED PC BOARD ASSY?  

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

I'm quite sure I posted that I don't mind the cold issue, though I did try last week if what Sony Canada will handle this situation after a few months.

It turns out here in my region, a few batches of units are eligible for a replacement if your unit meet the symptoms of this 'cold temp' malfunction, based on the serial number, and my unit was included on those batch eligible for replacement.  In minutes, I received a return label to send mine back and is with Sony ATM.

They said about 10 business days processing, let's see how this goes.

profile.country.GB.title
WilsonRob
New

Could you possibly share the serial numbers? I'm thinking about buying the headphones.

profile.country.GB.title
Aleksunn

Can u take a photo with date of manufacture of you headphones? (On the bottom of box)

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

Greetings,

My sincere apologies.  At the time of my last post, my unit is already with Sony.  Was not able to write down manufacture dates nor serial numbers.

Though I recall the first digits of the serial number 5165*** and i believe about 7 characters.  Mine should be one of the first batches as I purchased upon release, in Canada, back in November 2018 and it was a chase in inventory as they would be available as 1-2 units.

After that, it seems the headphones were out of stock for a month or two specially when this issue becomes viral in the forums.

Sorry again, regards

profile.country.GB.title
Mirvais
Explorer

I don't have box anymore, but I bought these already 11. october.

profile.country.GB.title
Aleksunn

I carried my headphones in service. Service master said me, that he was on sony conference about this headphones and take my headphones on repair.

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

Just received my replacement.

However, I cannot really test as temps here on my location just started to rise.

Though I did performed the first test I did on my first pair to confirm the issue, to soak my finger into cold water and use the touch controls.  And Im glad to say that the issue is not present on these new pair.  In fact, the touch controls now work even when my hands are cold.

It would be colder in the morning following day so I will test again,