Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.SE.title
johane73

@gabby131 wrote:

Just received my replacement.

It would be colder in the morning following day so I will test again,

Any update to this?

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

@johane73 wrote:

@

Any update to this?

Greetings!

Apologies, it was some days these past few.

I encounter no issues on a -5 to 0 degree Celsius on 2 days of waking outside for 10-20 mins each.  Also the new pair also have no issues on mic (my previous had Echo issue on calls).

So far, i don't have all the cold temps issues I had on my old unit.  Seems to me that Sony fixed this on New revisions.

profile.country.NO.title
dyviknilsen

This definitely sounds promising. However, as someone who hasn't purchased these yet, I'm still very unsure if I should wait to buy them in order to make sure I don't get a faulty model and have to get them serviced.

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

@dyviknilsen wrote:

This definitely sounds promising. However, as someone who hasn't purchased these yet, I'm still very unsure if I should wait to buy them in order to make sure I don't get a faulty model and have to get them serviced.

This is so frustrating! I think there's enough evidence now to confirm there is indeed a fix, yet Sony never acknowledged this at the time they volunteered to assess my pair, so I sent them back for a refund because I was not confident the issue could be sorted!

That was of course completely my choice, so no worries there, but if were to consider purchasing a new pair, I'd be in the same boat... so unfortunately, I still wouldn't risk it.

profile.country.GB.title
Aleksunn

I took my hp from service on Saturday. There is no lags! I could try it in -2 °C, before hp catch lags in this temperature, now it work true!

profile.country.GB.title
Ics1974
New

I am about to buy these headphones. Are they fixed if bought today?

profile.country.GB.title
ProBusRider
Explorer

I've been in the same situation: thinking of buying the WH-1000XM3s but wary of this issue because winters are cold were I come from. So a couple of weeks ago I emailed Sony customer support in Finland to ask if this problem still affects units that are sold now. They told me that this issue has been fixed for new units but it is difficult to say where specifically these units are in stock. They added that if I buy the headphones and they are affected by the cold weather issue, I should send the unit to Sony and they'd take care of it.

To be honest I was surprised to get a reply that was pretty straighforward and not some generic nonsense. This was from support in Finland, but I think this would apply to the product in general. This weekend I spotted a good deal for these online, so I went for it. Hopefully the headphones won't have this issue anymore, so that I don't need to send them to be serviced. When I get them I think I'll stick them in a freezer or something to see what happens. If you're thinking of buying right now, I guess the longer you wait, the better your odds are in this case?

I think Sony should just communicate more openly about this, so that people who are on the fence about buying could stop worrying.

profile.country.BR.title
NanBueno
Explorer

Is there a way to find the manufacture date of the device before the purchase? 

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

I don't think there is, but the serial number might be.

On the bottom of box there's a sticker with 2 bar codes.

The 2nd line of bar code should be the serial number.

The format is AAA-0000000-A.  So my replacement, the numbers starts with 6xxxxxx, my first one with defect starts with 5xxxxxxx.

profile.country.GB.title
Tsjeeses
Explorer

I just got a par where the label says that they’re manufactured in ”feb. 2019” and they have a very high 59xxxxxx s/n.

@gabby131 Do you have a manufacture date on the box of your new 6xxxxxxx?