Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.BR.title
NanBueno
Explorer

Thank you. Where I can find the manufactured date in the box? 

profile.country.GB.title
Tsjeeses
Explorer

It’s at the bottom of the box on a label with a three bar codes. Mine states mfg. date on the second row from the top ”02 2019” (another pair said ”12 2018”).

profile.country.CA.title
gabby131

Mine has no mfg date anywhere.  I guess that's how it is on my location.  Spent 15 mind looking lol

profile.country.GB.title
SamKirt
New

So if I buy a pair now, what are the chances I will get a fixed/updated version?? I don't want to wait until winter to find out the hard way.

profile.country.GB.title
ProBusRider
Explorer

I bought my set in early April and their serial number started with a 6. Unfortunately there was an unrelated technical issue and I had to send them back, but I did test the headphones on a couple of days outside in relatively cold weather (between about -2 to +10 celsius). I didn't notice any hiccups with the touchpad. So I assume at this point it would be safe to order.

profile.country.SE.title
johane73

I sent my headphones in for repair and got them back. The note said they had replaces a board so fingers crossed it wont act up come winter.

profile.country.GB.title
RzvK94
New

Hello,i don't know if it's too late for this message,but here it goes.I have these headphones now for 3 days and checked a few things about them.I still don't know how the touch pad will react to cold weather,since it's not cold enough where i am,but i will see.In the mean time,i think the solution to this issue would be to use them wired.As far as i used them,it seems that while they are plugged via the cable provided,the touch pad is not usable,i think it's active only while the headphone are connected via bluetooth or NFC.I know it not as convenient as wireless,but if you do go outside i cold weather with them,you can avoid the ghosting issue by plugging the cable.

Hope that helps,best regards!

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

As I walked through a sharp frost on my way to work this morning, I wondered if buying another pair of the Sony headphones I'd returned last winter might be something to consider (as they may be offered at a reasonable discount this coming Back Friday or Cyber Monday). 

Obviously, several people opted to return theirs for a "fix" which hopefully resolved their issues... I just wondered if all was still good in the world of current WH-1000XM3 owners and maybe I should give them another chance?

Any thoughts appreciated - especially as winter sets in! ☃️

Although reading the Firmware 4.1.1 thread again, it seems there are still concerns re. the ANC. ☹️

profile.country.SE.title
johane73

Hi Mruddo,

I had my headphones "fixed" during the summer. And its been quite cold in Sweden the last few weeks, down to -5c where I live and I have had no problems with the headphones.

So I would say there is a fix.

profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

The most recent android app update included an off-switch for the touch panel.

I've successfully used it in the cold Swedish mornings when the headphones started beeping.

Also it seems the most recent headphone firmware update (last week I believe) did make (at least for me) them less susceptible to the "cold-beeping".

So far so good. Will report back when winter sets in for real.