Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

profile.country.AU.title
skk02911
New

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

There is a cracking/popping noise in the left side of the headset, this gets worse when shake the headset around by moving my neck or walking etc. This continues even when the headset is off. And there wasn't any physical force applied to the headset. Anyone having similar problems? 

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi there,

Please try the tips here to see if it helps with the noise. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
gadbois
Explorer

Have this to, a ticking noise in the left earcup when I'm on the move, e.g. riding a bus or train or walking. The ticking stops when I'm still but can easily be reproduced simply by wiggle the earcup with my hand. Doesn't matter if the headphones are on or off so I suspect something mechanical is causing this.

Anyway, once you hear this noise it's super irritating and the headphones are useless.

I took mine back to the delaer, who fortunately was aware of this from other customers. They would have exchanged the pair but didn't have stock so they are sending the phones back to Sony for repair as I was out of my return period.

profile.country.GB.title
gadbois
Explorer

OK, so Sony took forever to repair my 1000xm3 headphones and eventually my dealer received new stock and simply gave me a pair from the shelf.

Happy to say these seem to be free of ticking/clicking noise in the earcup. Might be a new batch from Sony as these came with firmware 2.0 preinstallad - my previous pair did not. Also, there's a couple of new "Google assistant" stickers on the box.

profile.country.GB.title
mofo911
Explorer

I have a pair of WH-1000XM2 and I have the the excact same problem, and it is driving me insane. I already had my replaced once because of excesive white noise, so this really annoys me. I only have the problem with my left ear cup and to me it also appears mechanical, although it seems to come and go (it was there when I put them on this morning, but now its gone, and I havn't moved from my desk in the meantime).

Did it help help in the long run to have your headphones replaced or did the problem come back?

Br

Morten

profile.country.GB.title
gadbois
Explorer

Yes it did, the irritating ticking is completely gone with this new pair of 1000xm3!

And, as a bonus, they are much better with calls as I'm now able to make and receive calls on the bus/train without the microphones picking up and enhancing background noise. They are actually now on par with my previous Bose QC35, which were really good with calls.

evilaliv3
New

I confirm to have the same exact issue with the tick of the touch controller on the right.

I gueees it is too sensitive ant it seems to activate at every every movement.

Were is it possible to apply for replacement?

evilaliv3
New

It seems a lot of people is experiencing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/9if168/sony_wh1000xm3_poppingclicking_sound/

Is it possible to get it fixed with the next firmware update?

octoman
Explorer

Same issue here, replaced them with a different pair from my retailer, but the problem in the second one was even more severe. Looks like a mechanical issue with the materials/assembly to me.

octoman
Explorer

@gadbois wrote:

Yes it did, the irritating ticking is completely gone with this new pair of 1000xm3!

And, as a bonus, they are much better with calls as I'm now able to make and receive calls on the bus/train without the microphones picking up and enhancing background noise. They are actually now on par with my previous Bose QC35, which were really good with calls.

Curious as to what the first 4-5 digits of your serial number are (of the newer set with no issues)? Suspect that I had two from an earlier batch but they seemed to be separated by 130,000 of units, if the serial numbers are sequential and don't skip any numbers.