Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

profile.country.AU.title
skk02911
New

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

There is a cracking/popping noise in the left side of the headset, this gets worse when shake the headset around by moving my neck or walking etc. This continues even when the headset is off. And there wasn't any physical force applied to the headset. Anyone having similar problems? 

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.GB.title
Gabriel-
Explorer

Hi, 

I'm having the same issue, started soon after I bought them but now it's getting worse...

LE Can we get a replacement from any Sony center? I bough mine from Asia and I can't really send them back. Thanks.

Rafaya
Explorer

Can Sony contact me because I am getting the same issue and it literally makes me so frustrated. I got my headphones approximately 3 days ago and I thought it was me but this problem is very common. The left hinge creaks loud and right very little bit. I hope Sony replaces them.

Yes - I have also had this issue and moy headphones are only a month old.

Tried all the reset insturctions and still there. Sounds like low loeve white noise. Its very distracting.

profile.country.US.title
LLBUT54
Explorer

I have the same issue, with no music playing the crackling sound in the left ear is very annoying, still occurs with music playing as well. I purchased these for the noise canceling feature to wear in the office where I am in a cubicle with lots of background noise/conversations. It is a shame that they do not work well around other blue-tooth capable devices because I cannot tell other people to keep their stuff off so I can have quiet headphones or avoid the office computers (as Ed suggested in a previous post). I have had these about 1-2 months, and take very good care of them. Were you able to get this issue resolved? Did Sony ship you out a new pair?

profile.country.US.title
LLBUT54
Explorer

Hi Ed,

I tried these suggestions, unfortunately being in an office setting (which was the purpose of purchasing good noise-canceling headphones) I cannot avoid other peoples computers, tablets, phones, etc with BlueTooth capabilities. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? I have tried to reset them but the problem still persists. This is very disappointing considering how expensive these were and the fact that I bought them specifically to wear at the office. The crackling/popping sound occurs even without music playing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Maadxmonk
New

Slap it once but a good slap, trust me caveman slap actually works for this one 

profile.country.GB.title
Gabriel-
Explorer

Hi guys, 

Just an update, Sony did replace my pair with a brand new one after I sent them the faulty ones so contact them as soon as possible. 

Best, 

G

profile.country.GB.title
SteRei81
Explorer

Going to have to return my pair to the seller for exactly the same reason. Slightest bit of movement of the head causes a mechanical noise within the left headphone ‘cup’. When walking it’s especially noticeable. 

Its a hardware issue. Sounds like a clicking of a loose button or a grinding of the frame. 

Shame this is becoming a common problem as the sound quality of the headphones is excellent. 

profile.country.GB.title
alexterryuk
Explorer

Same problem... This has only appeared in left ear today after updating firmware to 4.2.2.

It comes and it goes. Have tried the slap and changing to 'Priority stable connection'.

Will keep you posted with regard to how/if it continues. Shame I live these headphones!😭

profile.country.GB.title
alexterryuk
Explorer

The best way to describe the noise is like bubbles popping from a bubble bath. 

It's also the first time since I got the headphones on the 1st September that I activated the Google Assistant. Could this be at all related?