Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

profile.country.AU.title
skk02911
New

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

There is a cracking/popping noise in the left side of the headset, this gets worse when shake the headset around by moving my neck or walking etc. This continues even when the headset is off. And there wasn't any physical force applied to the headset. Anyone having similar problems? 

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.US.title
LLBUT54
Explorer

I told sony and they replaced my headphones with a brand new pair! They were great, and my new pair work much betterSent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
profile.country.US.title
LLBUT54
Explorer

Call sony, they replaced mine with a new pair!Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
JannisNZ
New

Same issue here. I bought the headphones two weeks ago and the popping noise got worse je longer the headphones were switched on regardless of having NC on or not. The sound was very irritating since it's only the one side which makes it even worth. I explained that to the support on the phone and like the previous comments suggested it did the trick. Well, they gonna send me a new pair of headphones so I guess they know that the issue is not fixable via any software updates. Makes me wonder how many of the faulty ones are still out there and as well wheater the new pair they send me are free of the Issue. 

profile.country.US.title
jmiguel99
Explorer

I have had the same problem with my WH1000MX3, furthermore, the headband got broken, I have seen the same issue before and is reported here. https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D54O0000610NHWSA2/cracked-headband-on-wh1000xm3-headphones...

I had to put tape on them so the damage won't extend. But for "premium" headphones to be fixed with tape is a shame. Recently I have started also to have issues with the connection to my phone, it drops the connection and the headphones turn off suddenly and I have  to turn  them on again.

IMG_20200106_111029.jpgIMG_20200106_111339.jpg

for a Brand as Sony, and the premium price one has to pay for this product, the quality issues are really concerning. I'm very disappointed with this headphones. How can I submit a request for fixing them? as they are still in warraty period

aspiringarcadio
Explorer

I had the same issue - a popping/cracking sound in the left headphone. Not sure if helps anyone, but the first 5 digits of then serial number were 58088. Sony was very helpful when I contacted them over chat (they couldnt help over email). I tried initializing them (pressing the power & NC/Ambient buttons simultaneously until the light blinked 4 times) and updating the software. It didn't help. I'm now getting the headphones replaced. Hope the new pair has no issues!

aspiringarcadio
Explorer

I had the same issue - a popping/cracking sound in the left headphone. Not sure if helps anyone, but the first 5 digits of the serial number were 58088. Sony tried to help when I contacted them over chat (they couldnt help over email). I tried initializing them (pressing the power & NC/Ambient buttons simultaneously until the light blinked 4 times) and updating the software. It didn't help.

Unfortunately, Sony can't help since I bought mine used 😞  

"We could not process an exchange for your headphones. Our resources are recognizing your headphones as scrapped product." So good luck to anyone else with this issue...

profile.country.GB.title
sashamarchenko
Explorer

I have exact the same problem. On the right side after a few minutes of listening something I have cooler noise sound and then also cracking and popping sound. I have returned my headphones back to MediaMarkt where I bought it and they sent it to Sony. In 10 days I have received them back and Sony said that they did not find any issue at all. Then I've tried my pair again at the office and the first 10 minutes were fine but then again white noise + cracking/popping sound and even worst then it was before. I went back to MediaMarkt and sent it to Sony again. I have also attached the letter with the full explanation of what's the going on and referred to this forum. Now I need to wait for another 10 days. Very nice present for 260 EUR lol

PS. Before I had WH-1000XM2 and it never happened to them. 

yes, same for me.

I won't be buying Sony again.

profile.country.GB.title
OrhanDo
Explorer

I have same problem when I use my headphone with bluetooth everything is okey but if I want to use it with cable with high quality dac its cracking when volume is max. Also quality is worse in that situation. I sent a e-mail to Sony looking for the answer. Btw I bought headphone few days ago from Amazon.de

profile.country.GB.title
sashamarchenko
Explorer

they sent it back to me again and said that everything is ok, they updated software again and told me to fix the software at my pc and iphone lol. they did not even read my letter and they do not read their own forum.