Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

profile.country.AU.title
skk02911
New

WH-1000XM3 Cracking/popping noise

There is a cracking/popping noise in the left side of the headset, this gets worse when shake the headset around by moving my neck or walking etc. This continues even when the headset is off. And there wasn't any physical force applied to the headset. Anyone having similar problems? 

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.GB.title
gadbois
Explorer

@octoman wrote:

Curious as to what the first 4-5 digits of your serial number are (of the newer set with no issues)? Suspect that I had two from an earlier batch but they seemed to be separated by 130,000 of units, if the serial numbers are sequential and don't skip any numbers.

Serial's first four digits are 5206 but I think serials are random. Manufacture month/year is 10/2018, and as I said, they came with firmware 2.0 already installed and the box had a "Google Assistant" sticker on the front.

profile.country.GB.title
yauster
Explorer

I have this issue as well. Aside from there being a clicking noise whenever I press my right earcup when ANC is turned on, my music also gets noticeably louder for a brief moment.

brunomen
New

Confirm. I'm having the same cracking sound on the left hand side. It's a shame because I really like these hedphones but I'm contemplating a replacement for the Bose.

profile.country.GB.title
Steviemo

I had the same problem when on NC mode with no music playing , I only had them a week so was able to return them to the Sony centre for replacement the guy in store could clearly here it , it also hilighted a problem with the instore display pair they had a high pitch hum , even my new pair have a faint hiss from them when nothing is playing ,so I've tried 3 pairs on and have heard 3 different noises from them still it's better than crackling in one ear 

profile.country.GB.title
yauster
Explorer

I ended up exchanging my pair for a new one and the new pair don't have this issue. I'm 99% sure that the clicking sound was a mechanical fault that was amplified by the ANC.

profile.country.GB.title
fhritzkie
Explorer

same issue here. My problem is I purchased it on Gatwick Airport and I am from the Philippines. Did you have it replaced to a store where you bought it?

profile.country.GB.title
fhritzkie
Explorer

@Steviemo wrote:

I had the same problem when on NC mode with no music playing , I only had them a week so was able to return them to the Sony centre for replacement the guy in store could clearly here it , it also hilighted a problem with the instore display pair they had a high pitch hum , even my new pair have a faint hiss from them when nothing is playing ,so I've tried 3 pairs on and have heard 3 different noises from them still it's better than crackling in one ear 

same issue here. My problem is I purchased it on Gatwick Airport and I am from the Philippines. Did you have it replaced to a store where you bought it?

profile.country.GB.title
Steviemo

Yes that is correct , I had them replaced at the store I bought them from , sorry to hear about your troubles

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

I just bought the WH-1000XM3 headphones and yesterday (first day wearing them) I start getting a loud rattling/crackling noise in the left ear while listening to music on the bus. Tried all different settings and followed reset steps shared by Ed on this chain, but nothing resolved it. Seems to be a hardware issue? I'm so frustrated! Found a thread on Reddit that suggests that tons of people have this issue, which is ridiculous - a number suggested slapping/whacking the left ear hard can resolve the rattle, but it seems absurd to have to do that to $300+ headphones. All 75 people in my Burning Man camp were going to buy these headphones, so at least I'm glad that two of us got them now and tested (the other person hasn't had this issue and loves his). 

cjshort1
Explorer

Have you contacted Sony about this?  What was their response?

I've just raised a ticket today so waqiting to hear back.  It's unbelievable that a pair of £300+ headphones have such poor build quality!!