Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

Hi
I just got my WH-1000XM3 delivered to me, I can only pair with one device at a time. I need to be able to pair 2 devices at the same time. I need to f. ex. be able listen to music from my computer (win 10), and answer my iPhone (music for sure need to be stopped) when I recieve a call. Is it possible?
PS.: I am aware that music can be played only from one source.

Cheers
Hesam

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

profile.country.GB.title
soniiid
Explorer

Yeah, some disillusionmentjust after happily enjoying the silence and listening to some music from on my android mobile with my brand new headphones -- I can't watch videos on my computer without putting the headphones off because the device can't play two bluetooth inputs simultaneously. This breaks my flow and is a huge drawback. I would have expected that the engineers of such a sophisticated device would have thought of that.  

Unfortunately this seems still to be true...

profile.country.GB.title
nimble99
New

This may be good news for some...

I really wanted to do this too - my process is to work on my computer - where I use youtube, etc, but at the same time I'm listening/watching to podcasts on my iPad...

IF you're using a Mac - you can do this - regardless of what kind of headphones you're using (bluetooth or wired).

Here's how:

https://dabbleapps.com/blog/connect-your-headphones-to-your-mac-and-ios-device-at-the-same-time/

profile.country.GB.title
jet2686
New

Editing this, as i cant reproduce....

profile.country.GB.title
JeetusMaximus
New

Great headset but I am in the same boat as most on this thread. When I first got the headset I toyed around with it and was able to connect it to both my work iPhone and personal iPhone, not sure how I managed this but it worked. When I rang each phone the call would come through to the headset.

I tried connecting again today and it just refuses to work. I have updated to the latest firmware today so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

profile.country.GB.title
bcassidy76
New

same issue here.  I have no problem with my bose noise cancelling headphones...  being paired AND connected to both my macbook pro and my iphone at the same time.  I can be listening to music on my laptop and answer a call on my phone... 

there's really not much benefit to being paired to up to 9 different devices if I can't be paired AND connected to minimum 2 of them simultaneously....

profile.country.US.title
DelvinGrimsley
New

Hesam, 

Sony WH-1000XM3

I am in a similar situation where I want to listen to media via PC (win 10) while having the ability to answer phone calls on my phone (pixel 2XL).   I just got this to work.  I had to tweak the bluetooth details on my phone and on my pc to where my phone will only connect to phone calls on my headphones and my pc will only connect to media on my headphones.   

The bluetooth settings on my phone were pretty straight forward.  tap into the headphones in the bluetooth settings and make sure "Phone Calls" is the only thing selected.  

For win 10 settings i had to disable WH-1000XM3 as an input audio device.  So, go to windows settings and search for "manage input devices".  you should be able to disable the sony headphones as an audio input. 

Then, i disconnected from pc and phone. 

reconnected to phone (calls only)

reconnected to pc (music only).

this is working for me as of now.

music stops when phone call comes in.

good luck, my friend.

music only.JPGsony - phone only.jpgsony - manage input devices.JPG

zeddyf
New

This is the correct answer.

It is necessary to understand a small detail: the pairing mode. To put it in simple terms: in Windows the device can connect as "Headphones" and/or "Headset" ; and on phones it can connect for "Media Audio" and/or "Phone Audio".

AND/OR is the key element here. 

To have them connected to both PC/MAC and phone you have to make sure that on the PC sound settings you are only connected to the Headphones (if you see Headset, right click and disconnect) . Then go over to the bluetooth settings on your phone, find the "Device" and click the settings cogwheel. Inside the setting toggle the slider for Phone audio. 

And presto!! You have both devices connected. When your phone rings or you make a call, they will take priority over the computer.

profile.country.GB.title
VICTOR02
Explorer

It doesnt work for me. with the bose 700 it is possible to connect both devices, computer and telephone, for calls and music or media, also, without having to configure anything! it's frustrating in headphones of this quality.

spavanku
Explorer

Hey members, I wanted to pair my headphones with my laptop for skype business calls and listen to music from my iphone. Finally found a solution to this. The steps might look long, but it works and takes approx 5-10mins to perform these steps. 

Follow the below steps

1. If WH1000 XM3 is already paired with your Iphone then, go to the bluetooth settings on your iphone  and forget the Wh1000 XM3. This step is not needed if you have not connected it to your Iphone yet.
  2. Pair WH1000 XM3 with your computer by connecting to bluetooth.
  3. Type "Sound Settings" on search bar of your windows 10 computer. 
    • Go to Manage Sound devices. You will see two sections - Output devices and input devices.
    • In Output devices, You will see two types connected under WH1000 XM3.. One is Headset(WH 1000 XM3 Handsfree) and the other is Headphones(WH 1000 XM3 Stereo). Select Headphones(WH 1000 XM3 Stereo) and disable it. After disabling you will see as below. I highlighted in yellow the one that should be disabled in screenshot below.1.png

• Now, switch the bluetooth OFF on your computer. 
  4. Keep WH1000XM3 in pairing mode again by long pressing the power button for 5-10secs. Pair this with your Iphone.
  5. Switch the bluetooth OFF on your Iphone.
  6. Switch the bluetooth ON in your Computer. The headphones automatically get connect to the computer.
  7. Switch the bluetooth back ON in your Iphone.
  8. Go to settings on the bluetooth and touch on WH1000XM3 to connect. Iphone will show as connected. But music wont play straighaway.
  9. Download the Sony "Music Center" App on your Iphone. Go to this app on your Iphone and play music from your library. It will playcome from your headphones. At this point you can switch to any app like spotify or deezer and play any music you want to.
  10. When a skype call comes on the computer, this audio gets stopped automatically and you can pick up the call on computer. After the call ends, the music will start automatically. 
  11. The next time when you switch ON the headphones, it will get connected to the computer successfully. But follow steps 8 & 9 and you are sorted! 

The only issue I noticed is that, when you get a call on Iphone, you wont be able to pick it using your headphones and speak through that. This might as well not help many ppl.

Hope this helps.