Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

WH-1000XM3 Pairing with multiple devices

Hi
I just got my WH-1000XM3 delivered to me, I can only pair with one device at a time. I need to be able to pair 2 devices at the same time. I need to f. ex. be able listen to music from my computer (win 10), and answer my iPhone (music for sure need to be stopped) when I recieve a call. Is it possible?
PS.: I am aware that music can be played only from one source.

Cheers
Hesam

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
brmzkw
New

My Android phone and my mac touch bar are both paired to the headphones, but I am unable to connect with both devices at the same time.

Worse, when I close the lid of the laptop, the Bluetooth is somehow still active, so I'm unable to connect with the phone.

Is there anything I can do?

I'm ok to listen to music from only one device at a time, but I need a way to close the laptop's lid and listen to music from the phone, without having to disconnect first.

profile.country.GB.title
quaere17
Explorer

The Sony info could be clearer to a non-technical user.  As pointed out in this thread "pairing" is not "connecting."  While the Sony site accurately states that music can only be played "from one paired device at a time," another site explains that "Because most Bluetooth devices can only connect to one other device at a time, you'll have to disrupt any current connection before you can link up."  https://www.businessinsider.com/why-wont-my-bluetooth-connect#reset-the-connection-5  As explained in one more post, "Does your phone have a second headphone jack? Yeah, it doesn't. That's exactly why Bluetooth doesn't have the same capability either, because it aims to provide short range, low power, wireless connectivity between devices. That's what it was designed for."

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-not-possible-to-connect-2-bluetooth-devices-into-one-device

Note "most Bluetooth devices" in the first quote as apparently there are now some (presumably Bose) that can be connected to two devices and also Bluetooth splitters.

profile.country.GB.title
Ludovicdsg
Explorer

Thanks for your help. I am at a moment where I have to choose between which headphones I will buy. In fact, my wish Is to be able to work or be busy on my computer (Microsoft surface) and be able to receive and answer a call (iPhone 11). If you managed so, then I can purchase the Sony wh1000mx3. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ludovicdsg
Explorer

Thanks for your help. I am at a moment where I have to choose between which headphones I will buy. In fact, my wish Is to be able to work or be busy on my computer (Microsoft surface) and be able to receive and answer a call. If you managed so, then I can purchase the Sony wh1000mx3. Thanks for your time 

profile.country.GB.title
quaere17
Explorer

Sorry, I don't use this headphone for telephone calls. Others online report poor quality calls, however. Hard to have one device do everything well, I suppose.
profile.country.GB.title
Ludovicdsg
Explorer

Hello,

as it is Black Friday, I come across really interesting opportunities and one of them is the wh 1000xm3. I am at the point where i intensely read about pros and cons and only one argument keeps me away from buying it. I want and need to be able to work on my computer with the headphones paired to it, and when the telephone rings the call must come through the headphones and in priority over the computer (or else equipment paired). It seems to be what you described. Can you confirm the procedure and does it work? 
The other choice competing is the Bose quiet confort 35 II - i would prefer to go for the Sony as noise cancellation and sound is described as better but without the feature I am looking for (using 2 different devices and still receive phone calls through headphones), I would have to look for another solution. 
Thanks for your time and answer

profile.country.GB.title
N0gg1e
Explorer

Spavanku this fixed it for me. I can now pick up Teams calls on my laptop, and play Spotify on my phone without needing to touch any buttons. Thank you for these steps!!!