Who Me Too'd this solution

james_ss
New

You need a JST-PH 2 pin connector.

I got mine from this Website in the UK: http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_jstph.html

Total cost was about £3.50 as they kindly refunded £2 on the shipping. They supply 5 connectors and 15 crimps.

Connect the centre conductor of the coaxial cable so that it matches the connection on the lead supplied with the amp.

Connect the braided shield to the contact that is missing on the lead supplied with the amp.

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done as the crimps are small and fiddly and not really designed to take the large diameter centre conductor. I ended up snipping one of the back 'wings' on the crimp to enable folding one over the other. You will need extremely fine needle nosed pliers as it's delicate work.

I practiced first on a 4 inch length with a male coax connector on the other end to check proof of concept.

I'm pretty happy with the finished version. I even managed to slip a sliver of the copper foil sheild back around the exposed dialectric and under the twisted copper braid. I then covered that back up with a 5mm long outer jacket that I'd cut open. Finally, I wrapped half a dozen turns of insulating tape around the coaxial cable. Shrink tubing would be better but I don't have a heat gun!

Anyway, I've gone from being able to receive only BBC Radio 1-4 and Classic FM, some with noticeable static to being able to pull in 13 stations with full RDS and zero static from a loft mounted omni-directional aerial.

This is my proof of concept version:

image.jpeg

I hope this helps. It took me hours to track down exactly what spec connector I needed so the more Sony owners that benefit, the better!

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution