Join now - be part of our community!

Price drop already.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bara-Kun
Visitor

Price drop already.

I notice today that the price of the tablet S has dropped by £50 on sony's own website.

Although I know price drops are inevitable and will encourage more tablets to be sold I am

a bit miffed that it has been dropped so soon after the launch date.

Any chance sony could do the honourable thing and offer some PS store, music or video credit

for those of us slightly miffed loyal buyers.

54 REPLIES 54
heavygoods
Visitor

@hip hop rob:  "The John Lewis pricepoint has nothing to do with Sony dropping its pricepoint across the model range."

:thinking:

What a strange statement; of course John Lewis's price is linked to Sony's, and them dropping the price is a direct result of Sony doing the same!  The JL price is the retail price agreed with Sony - otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to stock the product.  Once Sony cut the price of course JL followed suit as otherwise they'd be £50 more expensive than the Sony shops!

Yes, JL is a partnership - it doesn't have shareholders, the workers own the business.  This does make their approach to customer services pretty unique and extremely attractive to a retail customer (even one, like me, who works in Retail for one of their big competitors).  I'm not comparing them to Sony, clearly they're very different businesses.  However, I am comparing Sony to Nintendo who are, in your words, a technology manufacturer - who decided that it was worth keeping those early-adopting customers of the DS happy after cutting the price point.

What I would say is that I don't believe Sony are as interested as Nintendo in aftercare, having been a big customer of both over the years, which is a shame.  You're absolutely right about them being a business, needing to maintain market share, etc. etc. - this is all true.  However, what you forget is that people "buy into" a company when they purchase one of their products, and like to feel like they're being well treated as a result.  When this feeling of being important to the company is taken away people do get very upset, which can have an effect on future business.

lemurville
Visitor

Check out:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/unlimited/sony-tablet?cpint=15044712

or

http://www.sonytabletoffer.sony.co.uk/index.php

Says it gives you the equivalent of £60 of video/music/games vouchers.

Looks like it's only the movies part that's any use:- five films chosen by them and credit for two of your own chosing.

The games and the music you can get already.

But ...

Wait for it ...

Only if you bought your tablet ...

AFTER 31/10/2011.

Unbelievable.

And when I submit the form, I get no confirmation as to whether the registration succeded.

[But maybe that's because it's rejected my registration].

smellyonion
New

is that some sort of joke?

lemurville
Visitor

By Sony? Try the links. I'd like to see what happens when someone else fills in their details.

alglais
New

I don't understand why people are so miffed.

When I did the research on this all reviews I read said the Tablet S was over priced and would struggle against the iPad2 at the starting price.

I knew that in all likelihood buying early on would result in me paying more than later adopters - however I bought it cos I wanted it available to me for some business trips.

Now the price drop has happened its just one of those things, if Sony want to give me something in compensation fine but I'm not gonna cry about it if they don't.

Buying the tablet when the industry clearly expected it to struggle and a price drop was likely was my choice just as it was for every one of us on this forum.

smellyonion
New

I agree with the above post but with regards to the promotion, why would they exclude early buyers?

sonys responce:

"In reference to the current offers we made, as per the conditions you are not entitled for it and we can’t grant you an exception to benefit from that offer."

petsmart

Thats good news. I have been watching this thread in the backgound to see if anything came to light. :slight_smile:

how is this being worked - is this done by serial tag of device and when registered online or recognised based on purchase date from sony store - or is it based on participation in this forum thread?

Just wondering how its linked in terms account /device etc?

cheers

lemurville
Visitor

Hi Omar,

Thanks for the update. Nice to see Sony are listening.

I really do hope the Sony Tablets are a success and would like to believe that by contributing to this forum we can contribute to this success in some small way.

Andy

omar_g@ap64
Visitor

Hi All,

I think the question of price has been well addressed in this thread, but I totally understand your point on the content promotion.

So, the good news is that we're openning it up to those of you in the UK that got in early and snagged a Sony Tablet.

(For this to work, you must have updated your tablet. To make sure you've done that, tap Apps/Settings/About Tablet/System Update when connected to Wi-Fi)

5 free games from the PlayStation Store

We've turned on the free games for all of you.

Head over to the PS Store app and you should see the free titles. Download to your hearts content!

180 Days of Music Unlimited Streaming

You can get your 6 months of music by heading to Android Market and searching for "180 free basic trial app"

Start the app and select the trial offer

Confirm your trial offer, launch the Music Unlimited application and, if needed, update it on the Android market place.

Re-launch the Music Unlimited application and re-enter your Sony Entertainment Network log-in details.

Boom! As long as you've not used a free promo code or offer previously, you have180 days of free music from Music Unlimited

Movie rentals from Video Unlimited

We're working on somehting for you. Watch this space.

Thanks for your support, and hope you're enjoying your tablets!

Omar

profile.country.en_IE.title
elbaztardo
New

What about content for owners in Ireland?