Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

Hi! 

Bought a 32gb Xperia Tablet S last Monday and am happy with it.   I have this issue at the moment and would appreciate any advice.

If I do not use the tablet for a time, it goes into a 'standby mode' and I can touch the power switch to wake it up.  I then slide the unlock icon to make all active again.  :slight_smile:

However, after a period of non-use, my tablet switches off completely and I have to reboot and can see the SONY screen and then XPERIA screen, before it boots and is ready to use.  :thinking:

Occasionally this reboot happens within 5 minutes of being in sleep mode.:smileycry:

In Settings -> Display,  I have set the Power save mode as checked,  and Sleep is after 2 minutes.  Also in Settings, Developers options, stay awake is checked but I know this relates to when the tablet is being charged

Please can you advise me if there is any settings that I need to change or if I have been unlucky and have a faulty tablet and will need to return it to the Sony Store!

I was told that the tablet has an 'Eco Mode'  but that does not make sense because powering off means no mail check etc etc!

Ofiaich

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi fee.666,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

fee.666 wrote:

Hi! 

However, after a period of non-use, my tablet switches off completely and I have to reboot

Could you give more details of how long the priod of non use is please.?

Can you confirm that you have installed the latest 4.03 System update.?

If you are unsure how to check tap on Apps then tap Settings and finally tap About tablet..

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Yes,  have installed the update - 4.0.3 (Release5)

On one occasion, I had not used the tablet for 5 minutes, touched the power switch, gently, and the tablet rebooted.  

More than 10 other occasions,  I didn't touch the tablet for 45 - 60 minutes and again, when I touched the power switch to wake it up, it rebooted showing the SONY screen then the XPERIA screen, then the flashy boot screen.

I know tablets very well and flashed roms on my Samsung 7" and have not come across this kind of behaviour before. 

Ofiaich :thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
stbromf44
Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with it rebooting after having been in sleep mode as yet it has never reset while using it.  On average it will reset five or six times a day.

I was hoping that the update for the wifi issue would solve the reset problem as well but if anything it is worse, it looks to me it is a software problem rather than hardware otherwise I would expect it to reset even when using it.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

thanks for your reply stbrom!

I posted about this over at XDA Developers and there are at least 4 users there with the same problem.

Some are thinking it's due to the SD Card.  I was wondering if it was because I downloaded Go Launcher Ex.  Sometimes, on my Xperia S mobile phone, Go Launcher Ex crashes and the stock launcher takes over!

Do you use a different launcher to the stock launcher?

This afternoon, I did a factory reset and will see how things go!

Thanks again for your reply,

Ofiaich :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the reply fee.666..:smileyhappy:

I'll highlight this thread to our contacts in Sony to see if I can get an answer from them, if & when I get a reply I'll post again..

Would be interested to know if the factory reset resolves the problem though.?

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hello Thalamus,

There are a few people with the same issue over at XDA Developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1904445

I completed the factory reset this afternoon and reinstalled the apps that I use.  I did NOT install Go Launcher Ex,

I have not set the screen to sleep in settings - display, and will  use the power button to make the screen switch off.

Tomorrow, I will check how the tablet is functioning and will report back here.

Ofiaich

profile.country.en_GB.title
stbromf44
Visitor

I use the stock launcher so I don't think it is anything to do with that.

This morning was the first time when I brought it out of sleep that it has not reset, the only difference was I accidentally switched off my wifi overnight. Tonight I will try switching it off again to see if it was a coincidence or not.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi everyone!

@ Thalamus - I have been using my tablet on and off all morning and have had no reboots. 

I wrote a post back -- I have not set the screen to sleep in settings - display, and will  use the power button to make the screen switch off.  

So no buttons in Settings - Display are checked!

I will keep monitoring it!

Ofiaich :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

@ Thalamus

2 reboots this evening...  left tablet on cradle for one hour then soft pres on power button to use the tablet again, and it rebooted.

Ofiaich