Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
MikeLothian

tl;dr

If you can still return your TV do it, you can rebuy when the bugs are fixed and probably for less money too

If you're too late for a return then pray the next update fixes our problems, none of the previous fixes have

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@moctey sony.nl issued an update in August to correct Cam data reads. See  https://www.sony.nl/support/nl/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdl-w-firmware-update-v2333-eua/KDL-... Sorry it's in Dutch. If its any help I put this 2.333 version on my machiine (in the UK) and it works without problems - although I do not need to use a cam.

DaM3k0n

Think Im gonna hang on to the X8509 until this Philips one comes out (exp Nov, so within my 90 days return!)... looks like it will have  a bit more grunt under the hood for powering Android:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/55PUS8601_12/8600-series-4k-uhd-razor-slim-tv-powered-by-androidtm-with...

16gb Stoage and a HEX core.. yes Sony, thats double the storage and 3x mor CPU power!

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Just returning my 55X850C for the third time. First two both had light bleed in left and right corners. The latest one has developed about 5 bright spots in centre of screen. Last time it took nearly two months to resolve due to the horrendous customer service who lied to me constantly and did not return calls or emails. Luckily I have a direct contact and they are shipping me a replacement. Couple this with the crap software this is the worst TV set I have ever owned.
SingingDwarf

Anyone notice that they have now removed the text "(incorporating - ITV Player, Demand5 & All 4 etc.) from the YouView line on the "Upcoming Services for Sony's Android TV" article?

Hope its not an ominous sign.

They have however added the following:

• Amazon Video and Netflix’s support for 5.1 surround sound - This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 13th October.
  • HDMI lip sync - This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 13th October.
  • Audio drop outs - This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 13th October.

I hope that this later fix corrects the problem with audio an video completely dropping out from HDMI sources.

I cannot believe that Sony that do not have any input into the community here!

It does look like they are listening

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

I cant even get 4k to work...

auto display area is greyed out for me, and i cant set it to the -1 so i get a full 4k picture from my pc.

lol

kind regards

richard

gunit1978
Explorer

An issue I seem to be having, when using netflix or kodi etc, whenever I press the action menu button to change the picture settings etc the action menu disappears after a few seconds before I even have the chance to change settings.

Also another little thing, on netflix if I go to a program it will say resume "insert show" and on every other device you have to physically click resume for it to play, on the tv it automatically starts to play as soon as you select the show, a little annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Not sure if Netflix is auto starting from now on, there was a Netflix update on the ps4 the other day and now it seems to start playing everything, I'm only trying to read the description and it starts playing it's a little annoying,  not sure about Netflix on the tv, still not used it. I suppose it's one way for Netflix to get the viewing figures overly inflated maybe Netflix is looking for a buy out. 

UKPiglet

Over the last couple of days I've had a bit more time to watch TV (kd55x9305 ). I see people complaining in this thread about lip synch across HDMI, but I don't have anything plugged into the TV - I've been watching TV and Netflix.

Suffering in silence to be with the family I watched "Great British Bakeoff". on BBC 2 HD. Lip synch was dreadful.

Last night we watched some Netflix of a Michael McIntyre show. He talks quite fast, and there the sound was a good word or two out of synch with the picture.

Is this something that other people have observed? It's extremely irritating.