Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Kosire
Explorer

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Hey,

I could'nt find out where you submit bugs to Sony about their products, so I'm submitting it here.

I just got myself a new Sony W9 tv (wonderful tv btw) and I can play all my files over DLNA. However, there is one file the TV thinks it can't play, where it says "Unsupported content". However, the movie plays fine, the audio works and even subtitles work. So what's the problem?

I can't get the message to go away, it keeps being visible under the entire playback of the movie. it's clearly supported since it's playing the video, playing the audio and subtitles.

I tried getting another message to show instead (by pressing some buttons), but after that error message was gone I got the same one back again "Unsupported content".

How do I remove it?!

I've uploaded the info on the movie file I've tried that shows it's unsupported (even though it's not) and then the info of a movie that works aswell, but without the error message.

Movie_that_provides_the_error_message_but_works.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c7nZ5tpY

Movie_that_works_without_error_message.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sVr9wW8r

If you compare the two, you can see they both use V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC for video, they both use DTS for audio, they both have SRT subtitles, The only real difference there is, is that the bitrate is slighty higher on the one that provides the error message - but it works fine when playing it on the tv.

This is clearly as bug, as both videos play fine but only the first one shows the "Unsupported content." message, that you can't get rid of!

55 REPLIES 55

I have this exact same problem, it's infuriating as the content is clearly supported but the message will not go away!
Sebek74

I figured out that according to DLNA/USB supported format spec the max level for AVC H264 high profile is 4.2. You can check it here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13MW802111/FR/codeclist.html#section03

read more also at: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2396 and

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=get_h264_level

The first file spec differs from second one at reference frames setting (8 instead of 4). It means that video falls into HP@5.0 spec which is not officially supported by 2013 series. Let's count used profiles:

not working file:

dpbMbs = 1920 * 1080 * 8 / 256 = 64 800 > 34816 (max for HP@L4.2). So it means that is HP@5.0 profile and header information is wrong

working file:

dpbMbs = 1920 * 1080 * 4 / 256 = 32 400 < 32768 (max for HP@L4.1). Header information is correct.

I suppose that TV checks dpbMbs by itself and ignores saved level in header.

I have no clue how to discard the message 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Sebek74 

Are you able to try the following to see if removing that message works:

1. Press [HOME] on the remote control
  2. Goto Settings > System Settings > Info Banner
  3. Set it to "Hidden"

Cheers

Sebek74

Hi

Thank you for suggestion however it doesn't make any difference. I've already checked it before. It's really annoying - if message disappears due another message it's restored quickly. It overlaps subtitles causing them unreadable. Of course I'm using the latest 401 firmware release. I wish someone informs software developers about that issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. 

Im going to raise this issue in regards to the error message.

Cheers

Sebek74

Quinnicus, thank you in advance. I've just realized there is newer firmware PKG4.421EUA for W905A. I've updated that quickly... no hope so far.. still the same problem.

btw curious, my TV didn't catch that update be itself, I installed it via USB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sebek74  - Can you please test the same file via USB (if at all possible), as this would confirm its only a DLNA error message issue.

Just to let you know, Sony are investigating the issue, in the hope that they can get message to disappear after a short time (as well as re-wording the message).  Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it can be done - so no promises. 

Cheers

Sebek74

Quinnicus: I will test that today evening but I suppose there is the same problem, because I read that on many forums. The problem concerns all 2013 & 2014 series as far as I know. It's more funny because I have one sample that is encoded using VC-1 (which is not supported my Sony TV at all) and the screen is black (sound only) but there is no message at all! I've tried to investigate the "compatibility" and I placed my findings above in the thread. In 100% cases my observation are confirmed. I suppose there is some memory buffer used for decoding, but quite larger than required for HP@4.2 standard. With dpbMbs above ~50000 some video artifacts appears so I suppose there is the real limitation of buffer. All materials that breaks dpbMbs=34816 slightly (f.e. 1920x1080 with 5 ref frames gives dpbMbs=40500) are displayed completely fine, except that message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - Appreciate the feedback on the USB playback when you can.

Sony are aware that it affect 2013 and 2014 TVs.  The reason for the message is that in certain circumstances (outside the official supported codecs) there can be some sound/picture issues, therefore the message was designed to prevent people thinking it was an actual fault with the TV.  

Unfortunately this message appears to be the fault now.

Cheers