Join now - be part of our community!

Double tap to wake not working properly

Brohken
Visitor

Double tap to wake not working properly

Set the phone up and everything is great but double tap to wake works 1 out of every 5 times. Definitely something is wrong there.

With the Sony launcher double tap to sleep works fine so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

I tested this with the stock Sony launcher and Nova enabled and both have the same issue.

This isn't my phone obviously, but this is similar to how my phone is behaving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukYtlqDww4

I tried it with the phone in my hand, and also laying flat on a table.
Tags (2)
144 REPLIES 144
AntCW
Visitor

Thanks for suggestion ClarkLong, however stamina already off for me.

I'm in UK and called my xperia support and they mentioned if pc companion repair doesn't fix it then it's hardware issue. (I have already repaired once)

But when I mentioned if it's a hardware issue how come double tap to sleep works perfect and screen responds perfect when on they couldn't give me answer.

Brohken
Visitor

My Stamina mode is disabled so that's not the issue here.
Brohken
Visitor

Honestly Sony support is being lazy here. It's clearly not a hardware issue but a software issue. Rather than put the work in to create an internal ticket they just want you to send the phone in for 3 weeks so someone else can deal with it and confirm what we already know.

Sony needs to build a culture of people who care in their support department. That's one of the biggest weaknesses of the Xperia line - inept support people who don't care, no single global coverage to deal with (Sony US told me I have to contact Sony UK), and horrible turnaround times.

How can management continue ignoring these issues and hope to grow their mobile unit?

I dread dealing with Sony's support department and never felt that way when owning a Google, Samsung or Apple device. it's a shame too because the phones are really great.
Sunking1011
Contributor

Same here, brand new XZ and double tap to wake is extremely buggy. It hardly ever works.
Rickard
Master

I'm very sorry to hear that Slightly_frowning_Face

I've been testing this here but i've been unable to replicate this on my phone so far. Would it be possible for you to take a log from your phone after you have tried to use tap to wake without success and send that to me in a private message?

To do this:
Settings > About phone > Build number, tap 7 times on the build number
Go back to Settings and select Developer options and turn on "USB debugging". Then tap "Logger buffer sizes" and set this to "4 M".
- Turn off display and then try to double tap to wake. In case it doesn't work, turn on display by on/off button and then:
Settings > Developer options, select "Take bug report". When the report is ready (may take a minute or so) you get a notification that you can tap and share to Google Drive. Please send me a link to this file in a private message.

Sunking1011
Contributor

I've found that this problem only occurs when the screen has timed out by itself. If I press the power button to turn the screen off then the double-tap to wake feature works as intended. If the device is left alone and the screen powers off by itself then the double-tap to wake takes numerous attempts.
PatQQ
Visitor

I have the exact same problem! I even did a factory reset.

Stamina Mode is off all the time.

I have to press the screen multiple times and hope that the screen lits up somehow. 

I heard that someone had it fixed after switching for a new device with the same software Build number.

Also saw some people having the same problem on XDA.

So is it a hardware issue or software?

If it's a hardware issue, I will need to bring the phone back to the store as i just got it few days ago. 

AntCW
Visitor

It would be great to know if hardware or software.

I have just sent Rickard a log following his mentioned instructions. It would be great if others can do the same so that it will hopefully help the root cause to be identified easier ☺️
AntCW
Visitor

@sunking101 I have also found it works better as you mention when trying to wake after turning screen off with power button.

When screen goes off by itself, maybe it goes into a deeper sleep making it less responsive?
Brohken
Visitor

I have also sent Rickard a log.