Join now - be part of our community!

Double tap to wake not working properly

Brohken
Visitor

Double tap to wake not working properly

Set the phone up and everything is great but double tap to wake works 1 out of every 5 times. Definitely something is wrong there.

With the Sony launcher double tap to sleep works fine so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

I tested this with the stock Sony launcher and Nova enabled and both have the same issue.

This isn't my phone obviously, but this is similar to how my phone is behaving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukYtlqDww4

I tried it with the phone in my hand, and also laying flat on a table.
Tags (2)
144 REPLIES 144
AnP155
Visitor

Been a week using the XZ and so far no luck whatsoever with tap-to-wake feature. Looks like quite a lot of small software bugs creeping up on a device that looked very promising, coming from Sony after a long time.
Sunking1011
Contributor

So could this possibly be a hardware fault with the pressure sensor? If it's a software issue I can't understand why so many people are stating that their tap to wake feature works correctly. My tap to sleep works 100% of the time but then the screen is on and it's just a regular touchpress. With tap to wake the screen is in a state of hibernation.
TheHolyOne
Visitor

I dont think its hardware problem. Most probably calibration problem. Because there are lots of People saying its faulty. That means 50percent of production is faulty. We need to hear from Sony. I hope they Will look for it.
Sunking1011
Contributor

Most people don't use this feature or they're unaware of it even being an option in the settings. How many people will know their phone is faulty? I'm scared this problem won't get addressed by Sony because so few will complain about it.
Steve1970
Visitor

I belive its software related too, and nothing a software update can't rectify.
Sunking1011
Contributor

Can somebody please explain why other XZ phones running the exact same firmware aren't experiencing this issue? I don't see how it can be software if some, possibly the majority, don't have this problem but I'd like to believe it.
Brohken
Visitor

We have no way of knowing this until Sony looks into it but someone made an interesting comment that each phone's pressure sensor may be calibrated a bit differently. If that's the case, it would explain why double tap to wake works perfectly fine on some XZs and not on others. If this is really the case then it can be fixed with a software update.

But again, we need Sony to make a formal statement on this.
Sunking1011
Contributor

I exchanged my phone and double tap to wake now works correctly. I would advise others to do the same.
AntCW
Visitor

@sunking101 thanks for the update. Great to hear now working correctly ☺️ out of interest, how much more responsive is it. Can you double tap to wake using different parts of the screen?

If there is no further update from Sony by the weekend, I'll go ahead with replacement too.
Sunking1011
Contributor

It consistently takes two swift taps anywhere on the screen, and I don't have to pick the phone up either. Sensitivity is almost the same as the tap to sleep feature. In short it works how you would expect.