Join now - be part of our community!

Opening web links within apps

KTo
Visitor

Opening web links within apps

When I click on a link within an app (eg. WhatsApp, email etc), a small window opens instead of the default browser.  How can I switch it to the browser to do this?

I read on the net somewhere saying thus can be resolved be disabling the Setup Wizard. But i cannit find the Setup Wizard on the Xperia Xz1 Compact.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
Emil
Enthusiast

Hi @KTo,

You can change what you want to use as your default browser if you go to: Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Default > Browser app > Chrome.

You can also try to reset app preferences, then you will be asked what app you want to complete a action with the next to you do it, for example open a link in Whatsapp. To do this, go to: Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Tap ... > Reset app preferences.

Let me know how it goes. Slightly_smiling_Face

KTo
Visitor

Hello Emil, thank you for your reply.But your suggestion did not work.

However I managed to find the Setup Wizard and disabled it. That solved my problem.

But I fund it very strange that web links didn't open in the default browser in the furst place. Is this a bug?

thanks 

Emil
Enthusiast

The first time you try to do a action, like opening a link, you should get a question asking you what app you want to complete an action with.

What I recommended resets your choice allowing you to make another one.

Glad to hear you got it working! :smileysmileythumbsup:

Let me know if there is anything else you are wondering about.

P_G_S
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem - links won't open i Chrome even it's set as the default browser app?

Where to "resets your choice" for the Email and SMS app?

Looking forward to a solution to this as it creates major difficulties ...

Per-Gunnar

Pjc102
Visitor

I have the same problem. Where did you find the app wizard to solve this?

Email app does not ask for preferred app on first encountered link. 

Emil
Enthusiast

@P_G_S, Can you make sure that you have enabled the setting Open links in apps, you can find it if you go to: Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Default Apps > Open links >  Open links in apps.

Also check that you have selected Chrome as your default browser and the sms app you want to use under default apps.

If you haven't tried, also, try resetting your app preferences according to the instructions previously posted. This resets the app preferences for all types of actions that can be associated with a app.

@Pjc102, Have you tried to reset your app preferences? It should resolve this behavior you are experiencing. Also make sure that you also have enabled to open links in apps.

Let me know how it goes. Slightly_smiling_Face

P_G_S
Visitor

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Checked that Open links in apps is enabled - yes.
Checked that Chrome is my default browser - yes.
Done the "reset the app preferences" (found it), but it didn't have any effect. No question when opening a link in a email - same in sms messanges.

I have also restarted the phone ....

Bug?

Pg

KTo
Visitor

Hi There,

I resolved my problem by going to:

Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Default Apps > Open links >  Setup Wizard.

I changed the settings under Setup Wizard to: "Don't open in this app" and "Don't open supported links"

And this resolved the issue

P_G_S
Visitor

Thanks KTo,

I found the wizard, but all settings are gray - can't be changed (see attached screen capture) ?Screenshot_20171019-145526.png