Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia keeps restarting

SOLVED
DaveGayle
Visitor

Xperia keeps restarting

A few days ago my Xperia XZ premium started randomly restarting whilst in standby and whilst in use. This is happening throughout the day and night.

At a similar time my wife's Xperia has also started doing the same.

The fact that both phones are doing this would suggest that it is a software or App issue?

I have done the following without resolve:

-Soft reset

-Removed sim/sd card and restarted

-Checked all apps up to date and phones running on latest software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would rather not factory reset if I can avoid it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hi @DaveGayle, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

I can see that you have already received some excellent troubleshooting steps from @NunoSEN2 and I agree with what he suggested, safe mode is the next step to use.

Is your wife also using an Xperia XZ Premium, or does she have another Xperia model? If she has another model, it does sound like it could be related to a downloaded application since you mentioned that both you and her have a lot of the same applications installed.

You can also take a look in the Google Play store > tap the 3 lines in the top right corner > My apps & games and see if both of you have updated the same application(s) in the past days, from when you both started to experience this behaviour.

When these restarts occur when the device is in use, are you using some specific application or service? Something that may not be related to this at all, but does this occur only at home for example, while connected to Wi-Fi or can it occur when neither of you are at home and are only using mobile data?

Keep us posted!

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

Hi @DaveGayle;

Have you tried restarting the phone in safe mode? This will disable all third party apps to discard any of them causing the issue. 

DaveGayle
Visitor

Have not tried this yet. I'm fairly confident this problem relates to an app as it's affecting both phones and my wife and I have a lot of the same apps. If I restart in safe mode is there anyway to identify the offending app?

profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

@DaveGayle;

I am afraid not, If in safe mode the phone doesn't have any problem then probably a third party app is causing the problem, you will have to try uninstalling apps until the problem dissappear. Start with the ones you installed just before the problem appeard. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

What you can do is this:

• Goto the app screen
  • Tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner
  • Choose sort apps
  • sort on date
  • Start deleting apps top-down
Jonas
Master

Hi @DaveGayle, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

I can see that you have already received some excellent troubleshooting steps from @NunoSEN2 and I agree with what he suggested, safe mode is the next step to use.

Is your wife also using an Xperia XZ Premium, or does she have another Xperia model? If she has another model, it does sound like it could be related to a downloaded application since you mentioned that both you and her have a lot of the same applications installed.

You can also take a look in the Google Play store > tap the 3 lines in the top right corner > My apps & games and see if both of you have updated the same application(s) in the past days, from when you both started to experience this behaviour.

When these restarts occur when the device is in use, are you using some specific application or service? Something that may not be related to this at all, but does this occur only at home for example, while connected to Wi-Fi or can it occur when neither of you are at home and are only using mobile data?

Keep us posted!

DaveGayle
Visitor

Thanks guys for your input. It seems the issue was WhatsApp. I have uninstalled, reinstalled and so far all seems to be working fine now.

DaveGayle
Visitor

I retract my last message, it seems it is not resolved.

Has been fine all day, at least 10 hrs plus, however I have just got home and my phone has restarted. 😅

profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

@DaveGayle;

Try desconnecting it from your home Wi-Fi, as @Jonas mentioned, it might also be related to your Wi-Fi connection. 

DaveGayle
Visitor

Thanks. Will try this.

If it is related to Wi-Fi connection, any suggestions on resolving?