Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia keeps restarting

SOLVED
DaveGayle
Visitor

Xperia keeps restarting

A few days ago my Xperia XZ premium started randomly restarting whilst in standby and whilst in use. This is happening throughout the day and night.

At a similar time my wife's Xperia has also started doing the same.

The fact that both phones are doing this would suggest that it is a software or App issue?

I have done the following without resolve:

-Soft reset

-Removed sim/sd card and restarted

-Checked all apps up to date and phones running on latest software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would rather not factory reset if I can avoid it!

39 REPLIES 39
Jonas
Master

Hi again @FTsamy, sorry for my late reply, I have been out of office due to vacation.

The next step in the troubleshooting is to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will delete all data stored on the internal storage in the device and reinstall it again, just so we can make sure that the software is not only the cause of the restarts, but also the lagging menus that you experience.

Since the data is deleted, it's important that you create a backup using the same program before you start with the repair.

Keep me posted!

FTsamy
Visitor

Hi Jonas,

I did the software repair. 15 minutes after the phone freezes again. This time i got an error message:

"System UI did not response". I can choose between "close" and "wait", but i cant press anything already. Phone restarts immediatly after.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @FTsamy!

I see. Slightly_frowning_Face

At least we know it's not caused by the software in the device now since it doesn't work any better after performing the software repair, so the next step is to have the device sent in to an authorized service centre so it can be examined by a technician. This is something that the Local support team in your market will assist you further with since I'm not very well informed about how service works in all markets, but they are the experts on this.

Feel free to keep me posted!

FTsamy
Visitor

i'll tell you what i do. i'm gonna hit it with a hammer and throw this piece of trash into a dumpster fire.

thank you for your help Jonas

Tags (1)
anlsons
Visitor

İ have same problem now. 2 years nothing bad happen. Until 2week keep freezing and shutdown. İ tried factory reset and still shutdown. 

Jonas
Master

@FTsamy, sorry to hear that. Slightly_frowning_Face

It can serve as a good backup phone if you get it repaired though, but it will cost some money if the device is out of warranty of course.

@anlsons, sorry to hear about your device also restarting. Slightly_frowning_Face

Are you doing anything specific in the device when it restarts, for example using a specific app or service? Since you have already performed a factory reset, try and remove the SIM and SD cards temporarily and see if it continues to restart.

Keep me posted!

anlsons
Visitor

@Jonas Sometimes when Bluetooth connection to my car. Sometimes joining the WiFi. Sometimes when  using instagram. İ delete most app. İ only have WhatsApp, instagram and swgoh (star wars game)

Edit: i trying without sd card and sim for now its Fine. Also safe mode it looks fine

Jonas
Master

Hi again @anlsons!

Since it seems to work fine in safe mode, try mounting the SD card and the SIM card again and see if it continues to work fine in safe mode. If it continues to restart in safe mode with both cards inserted, it's either of them causing this. You can of course try with just the SIM card inserted and then only the SD card.

It's not the most fun troubleshooting, but since there are so many different causes for this behaviour, it's a bit tricky to find out what is causing the restarts without in-depth troubleshooting.

Keep me posted with your progress!

anlsons
Visitor

i think its sd card problem i remove it and now its fine. 1 day no restart. i try to use it like that and inform u  @Jonas

Jonas
Master

@anlsons, that sounds good!

Just run the device in the normal mode and not safe mode without the SD card and hopefully it stops restarting and it's "only" the SD card that is the cause.

Keep me posted!