Join now - be part of our community!

Advice on steps to upgrade to 5.1

SOLVED
Harry_z1
Visitor

Advice on steps to upgrade to 5.1

Hi,

May be it is mentioned in one of the threads but i thought of asking separately.

I am on 5.0.2.  The update is available.

I will take all possible backups.

Now the question I have is, shall I

1) download and install the update. if all stays good, then carry on as it is. (benefit : no need to restore apps, contacts, notes etc from backup)

OR

2) do a factory reset while on 5.0.2 so you have a clean OS. Then upgrade.

Just trying to think - which way is better so that upgrade is smooth.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hampus
Champion

Hi,

When you update the software of the phone, in normal cases a factory reset is not needed. You should be able to update the phone and use it as normal afterwards. But if you experience unexpected behaviour or similar after a software update, a factory reset or a software repair is then recommended.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Hampus
Champion

Hi,

When you update the software of the phone, in normal cases a factory reset is not needed. You should be able to update the phone and use it as normal afterwards. But if you experience unexpected behaviour or similar after a software update, a factory reset or a software repair is then recommended.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Harry_z1

After the update, if you experience lag or fast battery drain, you might want to reset  and repair the phone with PCC

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

Harry_z1
Visitor

I think the 5.1 update has gone through ok. It also did another update after that. And one very noticable change (good one) is that there is no tick mark button on the passcode screen.

So fingers crossed and hope it stays good like that.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Harry_z1

Keep us updated

Harry_z1
Visitor

Just an update.

In general, things are normal. There were some Sony patches installed as well I think. One good thing - No more of that tick mark on the PIN entry. Just put the correct pin and you are in.

The volume level of the alarm feels lower. But I need give it more time (It could be just me having good sleep for last few days 🙂 , which is good in a way).

I always had problems with call quality but was never 100% sure if it was the network or the phone. Now I am changing to another network so that will tell me.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Harry_z1

Great to hear that