Join now - be part of our community!

Android 5.1.1: Broken encryption of exFAT SD cards

SOLVED
avolkov
Visitor

Android 5.1.1: Broken encryption of exFAT SD cards

Hello,

After upgrading of my phone to the 5.1.1 I've tried to (re)encrypt my phone and card, but without any success: card become unreadable and all data on it  disappeared. Card's reformatting doesn't helpful since card became unencrypted and any following reencryption lead to the same result: unreadable card. If someone have solution for this regression (except downgrade) please tell me.

Thank you
Andrey

Upd: As I've answered below, internal phone's memory has been encrypted successfully, problem only with SD. Also before wrote this post I've tried to do next things:
  - factory reset couple times
  - reinstall firmware by Companion
  - install AOSP
And probably Cyanogen has not problems with encryption, but I need for the worked camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

We have now tested this with a Sandisk Ultra 64GB SDXC formatted with exFAT but we can't replicate this on the latest firmware so please test your card with the software i mentioned. Damaged blocks on the SD card could cause something like this.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert
avolkov
Visitor

Maybe I did not describe the problem clearly: the phone is properly encrypted, but the card doesn't. Nothing common with Z3 case.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@avolkov

The phone its encrypted but not the SD card, is that what you are saying? 

avolkov
Visitor

@uliwooly wrote:

@avolkov

The phone its encrypted but not the SD card, is that what you are saying? 

Yes, exactly.

avolkov
Visitor

And, as far as I can see (due to empty search results), this problem appeared only with exFAT cards.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@avolkov

If I recalled it was an Android issue but I'll keep looking

avolkov
Visitor

I'm afraid that it's Sony creation. Half of year is more then enough to bump and publish such problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@avolkov

I'll escalate this, perhaps we'll get an official answer.

avolkov
Visitor

Thank you