Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

SOLVED
Flatbrat
Explorer

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

Help!!!!! My RDR-HXD890 has lost ALL channels- no EPG - zilch - Whats going on? Is Sony going to fix the problems? Does anybody know?

I have tried all the possible scenario's but no luck!

114 REPLIES 114
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
Minders
Explorer

This has become critical for me. I only have an old analogue TV, so rely on my digi-box just to view TV.  And now thanks to this failed update, I can't watch anything.  And this is the final weekend of an amazingly good Tour de France. HEEEEEEELP!! I must be able to see Chris Froome succeed and hopefully Cav winning on the Champs Elysee

Fosbie
Explorer

I also have a HXD890 which has been 'stuck' in update display all morming, and all controls unresponsive.

johnemiller
Explorer

Regarding your recent e-mail. Phone support is NOT available contrary
to your claim. I suggest that you very quickly summon e-mail support as
you have a generic problem that is affecting thousands of owners of
these DVD recorders. Fix it quickly or inform us of the issues
involved. The alternative is that you will have thousands of claims
from owners who believe their recorder is faulty and have taken it for
repair or bought new ones. John E Miller

Try retuning using the French option - No one should miss Froom or Cav

pewrigh38

actually its the frnch LOCATION option , not language option

in easy setup , choose english for language, choose autoscan , then FRANCE for location and scan for channels (tuning)

if its stuck in UPDATE mode, press and hold the power button ON THE RECORDER for 5 seconds until it turns off, quickly tap the power button and welcome will show on the display, then follow easy setup choosing FRANCE for your location and rescan

the freeview will work, the epg wont work

Alexander-C

Hi, so glad I found this thread on this forum - I've just joined up especially to comment! I thought my RDR-HXD890 was either knackered from the heat or the firmware had screwed up. I've done the temporary fix setting the unit to France to get the channels back, but like everyone else the EPG is screwed.

My question is this though: How the heck do people update their firmware? I've followed the advice from HERE  and 

downloaded the file sr08S124.mem and have tried burning it to a CD-R using several different methods but I keep getting "CAN'T USE" on the front display and "incompatible or unreadable disc" on the TV screen (Using the method in the link above I've determined that my current firmware version is V1.15 BTW and also that the mem file has downloaded fully).

I've used Imgburn with the settings suggested by the link (disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format)

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg 

Nothing I try works- I keep getting the "CAN'T USE" and "incompatible or unreadable disc”. I've even downloaded a trial version of Nero Burning ROM 12 to see if burning CD-Rs with that would make any difference, but with no success either. So far I've wasted about 6 CD-R's on this so it's starting to get pretty annoying. I even found a couple of old CD-RWs that I've formatted and tried it with but I just a No disc inserted message with those *eye starts involuntarily twitching*. Just to clarify as well, I've followed the instructions in the link to press and hold the Rec-Stop and then the Play buttons on the actual unit, so I'm not trying to load the disc incorrectly using the remote or anything like that.

FWIW, my DVD burner has been playing up for some time and doesn't actually seem to recognise DVDs that I'd previously made with it anymore (initially just DVD-RWs but now DVR-Rs as well) and seems to be pretty much limited to 'proper' DVDs only (as in, y'know, films and TV boxsets), so I did wonder if the problem could be there. Having said that though, the system seemed to be perfectly able to recognise a CR-R with jpeg images on that I tested earlier and equally one with MP3s.

If anyone could advise me, or even better walk me through the exact way they transferred their firmware to CD-R I would be ETERNALLY grateful!!!

As I stated at the start I'm SO grateful I found this thread because I was getting so annoyed by this whole thing (not just the wasted CD-Rs and possibility of having to get a new DVR, but because the website I downloaded imgburn from surreptitiously downloaded a whole heap of bloatware and toolbars to my PC and, worst all, hijacked my web browsers with Conduit and Delta-Search which took me hours to properly fix... so yeah, thanks for that Sony ) I was almost on the verge of smashing the RDR-HXD890 to bits this morning...

LastLap

I am in the same position with an RDR-HXD870 recorder.   Nothing recorded last night but we could watch previously recorded programmes.   However it was stuck saying 'Update' this morning so couldn't even watch recorded programmes or get any of the buttons to work.   I have now followed the instructions to press the power button on the recorder for 5 seconds followed by tapping the power button.   This allowed me to open the system menu to do an Easy Tune and I can now - at the monent anyway - access old programmes.   However no access to EPG so can't record anything.

Sony must do more to sort this out - and make it easier to find answers.   I have been searching for an hour to even get to this page with the comments and suggestions - and I doubt if I could find it again.

Sony should be putting out a statement on their site which tells people exactly what to do at the present time and also what to do later if we need to amend things like the French tuning.

HELP NOW PLEASE!

LastLap

It's great to have people giving technical suggestions - but to those seniors amongst us, the more complicated the instructions, the less chance of us even trying.   I couldn't follow all the download suggestions - and it should be Sony who are making us aware of what needs to be done.

Alexander-C

Oh yeah, and just while I think about it...

Why have I got to go through this whole stupid CD-R burning rigmarole to update firmware in the first place, when the unit has a perfectly functional USB connection on the front of it?

Pfftt...