Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem Appears to be Resolved !

Hi all

Just in the way of an update - The issues that have occured this weekend (30/31 May) seems to have been resolved from the general consensus of the forums members.

If you are still having problems, try the following:

• Disconnect the RDR Recorder from the main power supply and reconnect it after 30 seconds.
  • Perform a full retune of the RDR Recoder
  • Ensure that your EPG is set to "Digital EPG" and not "Guide +"

More details on further steps : HERE courtsey of @Habboi 

A specual Thank You to all forum members for your continued patience (and not shooting the messenger !)

Cheers

Hi guys

Before this issue (and forums) gets out of hand, Can I please designate this as the master thread for May 2014 - separating the previous threads and issue.

To register that you also have an issue, simply click the "Me Too" button on the first post.

A couple of TEMPORARY work-arounds that may assist.

Issue 1 - Stuck Update
Press and hold the On/Off button until the RDR recorder turns off, then quickly press the button again briefly, before the unit tries to go back into update mode.

Issue 2 - No Freeview Channels (ie Blank)
Go into the Tuner Setup and Replace Channels.  When asked about which Country, select "France" and continue on with the re-tune.

Any updates received, Ill post back

Cheers

EDIT1 - Thread has been reported to Sony.

EDIT2 - Sony is directly aware of this issue and are investingating with urgency.

EDIT3 - No official confirmation yet, but issue appears to have been resolved (from what you guys are reporting)

EDIT4 - Received confirmation that the issue should now be solved.

EDIT5 - 30/05/14 @ 19:30 - Issue has been reported with RDRs again, seems to be isolated to Crystal Palace transmitter, Sony is aware and is investigating.

EDIT6 - 30/05/14 @ 20:35 - Received information that the current issue has been resolved. 

EDIT7 - 30/05/14 @ 22:45 - Problem seems to still exist and issue is not fixed, according to feedback from forum members.  Information passed back to Sony.

EDIT8 - 31/05/14 @ 18:35 - Problems appear to have been resolved (from what forum members are reporting)

View solution in original post

181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem Appears to be Resolved !

Hi all

Just in the way of an update - The issues that have occured this weekend (30/31 May) seems to have been resolved from the general consensus of the forums members.

If you are still having problems, try the following:

• Disconnect the RDR Recorder from the main power supply and reconnect it after 30 seconds.
  • Perform a full retune of the RDR Recoder
  • Ensure that your EPG is set to "Digital EPG" and not "Guide +"

More details on further steps : HERE courtsey of @Habboi 

A specual Thank You to all forum members for your continued patience (and not shooting the messenger !)

Cheers

Hi guys

Before this issue (and forums) gets out of hand, Can I please designate this as the master thread for May 2014 - separating the previous threads and issue.

To register that you also have an issue, simply click the "Me Too" button on the first post.

A couple of TEMPORARY work-arounds that may assist.

Issue 1 - Stuck Update
Press and hold the On/Off button until the RDR recorder turns off, then quickly press the button again briefly, before the unit tries to go back into update mode.

Issue 2 - No Freeview Channels (ie Blank)
Go into the Tuner Setup and Replace Channels.  When asked about which Country, select "France" and continue on with the re-tune.

Any updates received, Ill post back

Cheers

EDIT1 - Thread has been reported to Sony.

EDIT2 - Sony is directly aware of this issue and are investingating with urgency.

EDIT3 - No official confirmation yet, but issue appears to have been resolved (from what you guys are reporting)

EDIT4 - Received confirmation that the issue should now be solved.

EDIT5 - 30/05/14 @ 19:30 - Issue has been reported with RDRs again, seems to be isolated to Crystal Palace transmitter, Sony is aware and is investigating.

EDIT6 - 30/05/14 @ 20:35 - Received information that the current issue has been resolved. 

EDIT7 - 30/05/14 @ 22:45 - Problem seems to still exist and issue is not fixed, according to feedback from forum members.  Information passed back to Sony.

EDIT8 - 31/05/14 @ 18:35 - Problems appear to have been resolved (from what forum members are reporting)

davidjwild
Explorer

We switched on our RDR-HXD870 at about 18.15hrs tonight, Friday 23rd of May 2014 (and mother in law has also done same with hers and has same exact symtoms).

When switched on the TV signal (picture + sound) displays for about 20 secs on all BBC and about a minute on ITV and other channels before we lose sound and vision.

Once that happens we cannot bring up the GUIDE or TITLE LIST.

If we switch off and retry the GUIDE while a picture is showing it does appear but it looks wierd - colours are different.

It looks like an update (maybe the 14.00hrs update today ??) has failed again - like last year.

It's now Friday so phone lines to Sony are down until Tuesday, I've emailed them to ask if it's the similar thing to last years fiasco that took weeks to acknowledge and even longer to get Sony to realise that a hard reset would NOT fix things.

Maybe it really is time to get a Smart TV with a USB port. . . . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

From @rassilon 

"Today, Friday 23rd May 2014, it looks like the same problem has reappeared this afternoon around 5pm.

No channels - or a channel will appear for about 10 seconds and then the screen goes black.

Unfortunately it's happened again on a Friday afternoon so we might have a rainy bank holiday weekend unable to watch TV or any pre-recorded programs."

From @Alexander-C 

"

Nope, it's not just isolated to rassilon, I'm having exactly the same problem as well as of today. Was working ok yesterday, today no channels or a channel will appear for about 10 seconds and then the screen goes black. EPG colour sceme is all messed up also, pretty much the same thing that happened last year in this thread HERE.

Unplugging at the wall and a hard reset have made no difference.

I was pretty unimpressed when this happened last year. I'm even more unimpressed that it's happened again..."

Mr_Onion

My RDR is showing the same problems.  Channels are missing/intermittant and retuning didn't solve the problem. The look of the EPG has changed since I was in there last.The 'Replace Chanells' works OK, but the result doesn't

Belmont is showing no issues

I have tried 'going on holiday' to France and everything is OK. Sounds familiar?

ljm40os
Explorer

I have the RDR-HXD995 as well and getting the same issues, exactly the same as last July, but tried all the advice from last year, not surprisingly it didn't help, although occasionally for a few seconds I do get a connection.

hopefully will get fixed quicker this time.

Antony_K
New

It's definately not just you. I realised my RDR HXD870 had this problem from 17:30 today when I got home. Called support, all gone at 18:00, tried email but after sending the email a reply said that was "down due to maitainence" & having checked the answer from last July, the audio out shows v 1.28 so it looks like they've done this again. Having tried the same answer as last year, hard reset etc, it didn't improve the situation, that'll probably need another update from Sony before that'll work ???. Another weekend with a useless Sony product

Tags (1)
KoiRich
Explorer

Yep, I have two Sony machines. RDR-HXD970 and RDR-HXD870, BOTH have exactly the same problems as described here. Not happy with Sony AGAIN.

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

Thanks Quinnicus.

Did Sony did any idea of when a proper fix may be forthcoming?

In the mean-time, Bravo Monsieur Oignon (Mr Onion) for remembering, and his suggestion of re-tuning, replace channels but selecting France instead of UK. There is a worrying pause when it says it's doing a clock auto-update following the channel update, but at least I can see my channels again. Might need to select Digital Guide as mine defaults to Guide+. At the moment, guide is blank but I hope with time, this will get refilled. Downside is that I have lost everything that I had set to record, eg anything on series link has been lost. Everything all ok under Title List though.

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

Well remembered Monsieur Oignon.

Thanks again - it has worked again. I have asked Quinnicus to propose this as a workaround especially if nothing is forthcoming from Sony.

Kudos to you.