Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couiple of TEMPORARY work-arounds that may assist.

Issue 1 - Stuck Update
Press and hold the On/Off button until the RDR recorder turns off, then quickly press the button again briefly, before the unit tries to go back into update mode.

Issue 2 - No Freeview Channels (ie Blank)
Go into the Tuner Setup and Replace Channels.  When asked about which Country, select "France" and continue on with the re-tune.

James_S
Explorer

Same as this time last year, must be an EPG problem in the UK. 

Temporary Solution that worked for me:

Retuned my RDR HXD870 using:  Basic - Easy Setup - Start - English - Auto Scan - FRANCE (probably anything except UK).Then let it scan, it will not like setting the clock automatically but when that's done you will get your channels back even if not the EPG.  Give Sony/Pioneer a few days to get it fixed and then redo the settings with UK as the setting in place of FRANCE.

Au Revoir

Tags (1)
malet86
Explorer

Me too HDX870

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

So yesterday I had selected France and had a workaround. This morning, I have switched on the recorder and it is saying channel not in service whenever I select a channel. If I re-tune whether for France or UK, I get SCAN ERROR. So now I can't record even manually as I can't get the channels. So this is worse than before. I could be very unlucky and have suddenly developed another unrelated fault, but I would be interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar. 

CAGAL21
Explorer

Hello, I have had this problem also on my RDR-HXD995. Wife has just unplugged machine and when powered up agian all is working including EPG is back to normal.

My mother-in-law machine has also just come good, and she did not touch it (it was  not working earlier).

Has Sony sent a fix down?

profile.country.GB.title
ian48db
Explorer

I'd agree that this seems a more severe problem, though the "fixes" were not quite that last time, more workarounds of a transient nature.

WOULD RECOMMEND  ALL CONTACT SONY SUPPORT ABOUT THIS MATTER. So many posts on here and other forums......better to  create an actual support issue to which Sony need repsond. I'd call the response to last year's matter a fobbing off.

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

Panic over. Based on others saying that the problem seems to have been fixed, I have just switched off and on at the wall and sure enough channels were back at working. I have been able to revert to UK and re-scan with no "scan error" this time. Guide is back and working, once I re-selected digital guide. So I must have just caught it mid-fix or something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are reports trickling through that some peoples RDRs are now working - for those that did a retune, try retuning in again - normal way.

chilli_queen
Explorer

My machine wasn't working last night and was stuck on update this morning. I have just done the on/off button thing to get out of that and all is fine now.

profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

As we seem to be back and working, can I take this opportunity to thank Quinnicus for holding our hands though this, reporting so swiftly to Sony and keep us informed. Thanks goodness for this forum.

I still believe that Sony should be more resilient, but I appreciate that they have reacted quickly to the problem. I would say that they have learnt lessons from the last time and I for one, acknowledge and thank them.