Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Maybe you should point Sony Tech Support in the direction of the Sony US forum, there's plenty of people having this issue not to mention the countless reports on other websites. You only have to Google this issue to see how big it is becoming.

I don't doubt that in some cases it might well be a compatibility issue between models of TV but for Sony to play down the issue it's not too helpful.

I've lost count of the number of posts I've read now where Sony Tech Support have advised people to return units where pass through is not working. Surely someone at Sony must be able to see the growing mountain of returned units?!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MishterTea
Explorer

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new amp and it's between the Sony STR-DN1040 and Onkyo TX-NR626. Now the reviews suggest the Sony is better but this HDMI pass-through issue may make it a non-starter for me as I see that as a pretty essential feature.

Just to be clear, the pass-through issue I'm referring to is the loss of audio/picture after around 30 seconds when the amp is put into standby and HDMI pass-through mode set to 'auto' (I understand as a UK user 'on' sadly isn't an option).

I have a Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ70B and am concerned the pass-through issue may affect me. MK_Slinky, can you confirm that this issue can be worked around by just returning an audio feed from the TV to the amp to bypass the lack of ARC - which it seems is what the amp uses to detect if the TV is operating or not?

I'm hoping the answer is yes as it feels the Sony is the better amp to purchase.

Cheers,

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi MishterTea,

Yes in answer to your question above it seems to work fine for me. It does suggest this option in the user manual as a work-around and which finally solved the issue for me.

Just to be clear, i am no expert on Pass-Through and the lack of an ARC connection on my Viera TV does make it difficult to know how it works for people who do have that connection. Some things are not easy to understand unless you can see them in action.

Originally before I solved this issue, if say I wanted to watch a DVD or hard drive recording via my connected Panasonic HDD\DVD recorder through the TV speakers only, I would get no sound. It seems by having the phono leads connected the sound is then output from the receiver even when off.

The Sony STR DN-1040 is certainly a beast of an amplifier and it can be somewhat daunting when you first connect it up. That said, it's quite intuitive and providing you select the right output source you should have very few problems. In fact the only real headache I had was figuring out this sound to TV issue.

Personally speaking I don't you will be disappointed with this unit, it's easy to be put off by the negative issues surrounding pass-through but really it's a minor problem for me. I will of course make sure my next TV does have that feature for sure.

Out of interest how old is your Viera? Mine is about 6 years old.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MishterTea
Explorer

Thanks for your reply MK_Slinky.

I purchased my Panny in January 2008 so it's a similar age to yours. Do you know the model number you have? Also, I'm assuming you have a UK STR DN-1040 (I.e. the one without the 'on' pass-through option - just 'auto' or 'off')

Just to be ultra clear, have you ever had the issue with the display cutting out after 30 seconds in pass-through mode (amp pass-through set to 'auto' and in standby) or has that always just worked? So you have HDMI devices (DVD etc..) connected to you amp which in turn outputs to your TV.. with the amp on the audio is processed by it and fed to your AV speakers, picture fed to TV.. when the amp is in standby the audio/picture are both fed through the TV (and don't disappear after 30 seconds!)?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I make the correct decision first time with my amp purchase.

Cheers,

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi MishterTea,

My Panny is a TX-26LXD70

Yes my STR DN-1040 is a UK version with 'Auto/Off' Pass Through Options

Note:- no Blutooth on UK versions, just in case you're wondering!

Regarding the display cutting out after 30 seconds in pass through, it's tricky to answer this one.., here's what happens for me:

All equipment turned off ---> Turn on TV only and sound and images are displayed as normal but after 5 - 10 seconds AMP clicks and I lose both images and sound. I believe this is by design and not a fault of the AMP. The AMP detects the TV being powered on and switches the TV to the connected HDMI-1 AV input where I have the AMP connected. I assume if my TV were ARC enabled this would not happen. I have to press 'TV' on the remote to bring it back again (minor niggle but nothing to worry about)

If you don't mind the AMP switching on each and every time you turn on your TV then through experimenting I was able to solve the above problem. You do this by going to your Viera Menu (button on TV remote) and go into 'Setup' -- 'Power On Preferences' and set it to 'TV'. This will wake the AMP up when you turn on the TV, the AMP will change to TV Output, everything will work fine then.

Personally I prefer not to have my AMP on all the time, I reserve that enjoyment for DVD's and Music only. For me I set the 'Power On Preference' to 'AV' instead which is why I then have to press the TV button after a few seconds to bring the images and sound back. It's confusing to comprehend until you try it but I will help you if you do decide to buy it.

To answer this question:

'So you have HDMI devices (DVD etc..) connected to you amp which in turn outputs to your TV.. with the amp on the audio is processed by it and fed to your AV speakers, picture fed to TV.. when the amp is in standby the audio/picture are both fed through the TV (and don't disappear after 30 seconds!)?'

Yes, it all works as expected using DVD or any other connected HDMI equipment, sound and images are processed by the receiver.

The exception is when you turn the AMP off again, you lose picture and sound for 3 seconds why the pass through changes back to your TV.

These are the settings I am using to achieve correct operation with my Viera TV:

On the STR DN-1040 Remote - 'Press Home Button'

Select 'Settings Menu'

Select 'HDMI'

Set the following:-

4K Scaling [OFF]

Control for HDMI [ON]

Pass Through [Auto]

Audio Out [AMP] **See footnote**

Subwoofer Level [Auto]

Fast View [Auto]

**Note about Audio Out:

Setting this option to [AMP] the sound is only output from the receiver but switches to TV speakers when you turn the AMP OFF again. You can set it to both [AMP&TV] in which case sound is output from both while AMP is on. I see no point if your enjoying your surround sound speakers. Viera TV speakers suck!

Let me know if you do buy one, it's always good to have some advice, god knows I struggled at first with nobody to ask.

One nice thing I found with this receiver is that the remote can also be programed to operate my TV and DVD\HDD recorder, there's some codes you type into the receiver remote to achieve this. Page 103 User Manual

Amazingly it was also able to accommodate my 20 year old Technics CD Player!!

You sound quite tech savy to me so I'm sure you'll manage okay, as with any new equipment it can be a little daunting to begin with but the help here is getting better now more people are buying this unit. I bought mine form Richer Sounds 2 months ago price £349 and already they've reduced it down to £299, not bad considering it was £500 to begin with. One tip if you buy from them.., ask for the 5 year extended warranty for free, I did and they were only to happy to accomodate my request. Sweet!

This time of year is always good to buy electronic devices as most manufacturers release new products around April meaning you get last years model heavily reduced. :slight_smile:

Edit:

As an edit to the above information I believe I have now found a solution to the above pass through issue. Users of the above mentioned Panasonic Viera Model TV's may find the following post useful.

Panasonic TV's

[AV-Receivers] Pass Through Potential Solutions

profile.country.GB.title
MishterTea
Explorer

Hi MK_Slinky,

Yep, I have the limited opportunity to purchase the amp for £280 hence my relative urgency to see whether it's a good fit.. :slight_smile:

It seems we have one major difference in our setups - I think you use the tuner in your TV for actual TV whereas I have a Sky+ HD box for TV, which would be fed through the amp via HDMI. I think this removes your Viera Link TV/AV issues for me as _anything_ I play through my TV would be fed through the amp, be it on or off (well, in standby with pass-through).

So the scenario I'm trying to make sure works is as follows:

1. Everything off

2. Switch TV, Amp and Sky box on

3. Sky picture feeds from TV, Sky audio feeds from amp speakers

4. Switch amp off (well, into standby with pass-through set to 'auto')

5. Sky picture remains on TV and Sky audio now plays through TV speakers

6. Sky picture/audio feeds don't disappear after 30 seconds

The sentence in your last post that interests me is:

'The exception is when you turn the AMP off again, you lose picture and sound for 3 seconds why the pass through changes back to your TV.'

I gather what you're saying is that your TV changes back to its tuner signal as it detects the amp is off, which is fine based on what your TV is set to do via Viera Link setup. I'm interested in what happens if it didn't switch back to TV and stayed playing the DVD - I think the closest analogy in your setup to my theoretical problem would be to ask the question:

What happens on your TV if you play a DVD passed through you amp, which is in standby with 'auto' pass-through? (I appreciate you might need to tell the TV to use the AV HDMI input here) Does the picture remain on screen and audio output from TV speakers as you'd expect and not disappear after 30 seconds?

Once again, thanks for your detailed and swift replies - you've been a real help!

Cheers,

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Dude!

Well you can never have enough details, hopefully I've made them as clear as possible? :slight_smile:

To be totally honest if you're setup is going via the Sky Box then I cannot foresee any problems accept maybe a higher electricity bill. This AMP is rated as 250 WATTS!

In response to this question:

I gather what you're saying is that your TV changes back to its tuner signal as it detects the amp is off, which is fine based on what your TV is set to do via Viera Link setup. I'm interested in what happens if it didn't switch back to TV and stayed playing the DVD - I think the closest analogy in your setup to my theoretical problem would be to ask the question:

What happens on your TV if you play a DVD passed through you amp, which is in standby with 'auto' pass-through? (I appreciate you might need to tell the TV to use the AV HDMI input here) Does the picture remain on screen and audio output from TV speakers as you'd expect and not disappear after 30 seconds?

Correct, turning the AMP OFF the TV changes back to the TV Tuner signal.

If however I am playing a DVD and turn the AMP off midway through, video signal and sound disappear for 3 seconds before playback of video & sound resumes via the TV.

I believe there is just one exception to this rule and which I will need to double check for you later today..

If I just want to watch a DVD without the AMP, I believe I have to manually select the HDMI-1 input on the TV first. Let me double check, I will respond early this evening.

I don't know if you noticed, I sent you a PM as well. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MishterTea
Explorer

Hey Slinky,

Hehe.. yeah, I noticed the power consumption, combine that with a 42" plasma and I'll certainly be keeping my electricity supplier happy!

I _think_ you've persuaded me.. I await the results of your testing but if you can happily play a DVD through the amp, whilst it's on standby and the picture/audio don't disappear after 30 seconds then I think I'm willing to risk it.

I appreciate we have different Panny models but worst case, if I do purchase and suffer these 30 second picture loss issues I'll have to start arguing with the appropriate dealer/manufacturer!

P.S. I'll check out your PM now - new to these forums and the way they work and have been away from this machine all day..

Cheers,

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi MishterTea,

I guess you're enjoying the sun while I'm troubleshooting?

Regarding my last comment above:

If I just want to watch a DVD without the AMP, I believe I have to manually select the HDMI-1 input on the TV first. Let me double check, I will respond early this evening.

Bizarrely I've just made a new discovery with my own setup! I just turned my TV on and the HDMI-1 was already active on the TV. As mentioned previously the usual scenario whereby the TV normally starts off on the TV output on the Viera before changing to the HDMI-1 AV output did not happen just now.

I'm guessing that last night when I was watching recorded content from my Panasonic DVD\HDD Recorder I turned both that and the TV off together before going to bed. Usually I turn the DVD\HDD Recorder off and carry on watching the TV for a while which requires me to select the TV output on the Viera, hence why that output is still selected next time I turn the TV on again.

I hope you're following me, there's a Test afterwards!! :laughing:

So anyway, continuing on and with the above in mind, as the HDMI-1 output was already active on the TV I turned my DVD\HDD Recorder on next and playback was instant.

Of course my original problem still remains but as yet I haven't found a solution. If my last source I watched was my TV then that output will still be active momentarily next time I turn the TV on again before then switching back to the HDMI-1 output. Still I can live with it for now, it's not difficult to select the TV output again if I only want to watch TV.

I'm sending you a troubleshooting list I've created, I made notes about which things worked and which didn't, it might prove useful to you. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Harrywillis

MishterTea - you say "I appreciate we have different Panny models but worst case, if I do purchase and suffer these 30 second picture loss issues I'll have to start arguing with the appropriate dealer/manufacturer!". IF you do suffer from the HDMI Passthrough problem that I and others have experienced, Sony will be no help whatsoever. They have been useless, to the point of ignoring the issue. You might have to check with your dealer that they will take the unit back if you are unhappy.