Join now - be part of our community!

TalkTalk/Tiscali iPlayer issues Blu-ray

profile.country.en_GB.title
PeterJ101
Visitor

TalkTalk/Tiscali iPlayer issues Blu-ray

I've a BDP S570 and a EX732 and iplayer has worked ok until last few days. Its great when it works! But over the last few days it now runs out of memory loading the home page and goes into a loop of re-trying until I press HOME to break out of it. Very frustrating. I've been scanning the message boards and lots of folks have been having problems but not seen any mention of this one. Is there a fix or is it just another BBC problem?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

80 REPLIES 80
Catmambo
Contributor

Are you using Virgin Media as your isp?

PeterJ101
Visitor

No, Tiscali. I noticed last night on one of the BBC discussion boards that this is a common problem and related to the ISP. Virgin and TalkTalk/Tiscali were mentioned as culprits. Both Sony and the BBC say it is not their making. It seems that we are not always being directed to the right BBC home page - it seems that what is happening is that it is trying to load the full blown PC like home page which is just too big and complex. When it works it loads the old cut down iplayer page and it works ok. The thing I cannot understand is that it is intermittent, well it doesn't work most of the time, but it does sometimes. There was some discssion about changing proxy settings as possibly helping but no clear instructions on how to do this or what to change them to. Any more insights?

Catmambo
Contributor

We were certainly aware of it being an issue with Virgin media due to the way they cache data, but not for any other ISP's. Changing proxy settings would be specific to the ISP rather than any generic settings  I guess.

Assume you aren't hitting your download cap or anything like that? Some ISP's *cough*, BT option 1 *cough*, throttle iPlayer during peak hours which could have an impact for some people..

Not sure where the bug lies to be honest, but if you could take a couple of photos of the error pages and email them to me ( please pm me for my address), I'll raise it with our engineers and we can try and get to the bottom of it.

thanks

PeterJ101
Visitor

Hi, a PS...

I assume, when you select iplayer from the menu, the player currently takes you to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer which defaults to .../iplayer/radio (slightly odd I know). If the player directed the request to... /iplayer/bigscreen I think it will work fine.  Can we do that somehow or does that require another another update from Sony?  I assume you would have to agree with the BBC not to change the url again. P

Catmambo
Contributor

Is anyone still experiencing this problem as I noticed on the service bulletin that the BBC have apparently resolved the issue?

Please shout if you are still (as of today ) having problems with the memory issue,

PeterJ101
Visitor

Hi - it worked ok last night but not tonight - same problem, not enough memory. Everything else seems to work ok ie other internet TV content loads ok. No response on the issue from Tiscali I'm afraid. And nothing further I can see on the BBC message boards. So I'm afraid I'm no further on.

It doesn't (consistently) do what it says on the box!

Peter

PeterJ101
Visitor

PS Checked the BBC message boards further and others are continuing the have the same problem, intermittent but most of the time. The more I think about this it must be a BBC problem - can't Sony sort them out as they are letting you guys down. Great equipment but it doesn't do what it says on the tin!

P

Catmambo
Contributor

Ok - will flag and have the issue re-opened on monday.

thanks

PeterJ101
Visitor

Thanks -  I appreciate your help! P