Join now - be part of our community!

effect of hdmi connection to the TV

SOLVED
alexpavel
Explorer

effect of hdmi connection to the TV

Sony tv model KDL-32R430B has only MHL and ARC hdmi inputs. I'd like to know if I can connect a regular dvd player to the hdmi ARC tv connector using a hdmi cable.With this type of connection audio return signal that goes to the dvd may damage the TV?
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Back to basics.  A HDMI cable and port supports 19 pins. 

HDMI Pins.jpg

ARC = Audio Return Channel.  Only used for modern equipment.  The attached equipment must be apart of a 'system' with speakers or something that can attach speakers directly to it - otherwise its pointless.

If the DVD player has a HDMI port to connect to the TV and does not support ARC - it is unlikly the required pins will be connect that is used for ARC.  Even if the pins are connected for ARC, no power is going through it to cause any damage anyhow.  So therefore you can still connect it to the TV and receive a 'signal' - but ARC will be disabled.

Hope that explains things better.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even though the ports are labled "ARC" and "MHL" - in effect they are simply HDMI ports with an added "bonus" IF your attached equipment supports it.  If the connected equipment (or cable) does not support this, it just wont work - therefore you cannot damage anything.

Hope this helps

Cheers

alexpavel
Explorer

I apologize for misunderstanding,

" If the connected equipment (or cable) does not support this, it just wont work " -

I understand that a normal dvd player that do not support this function :- ARC - it will not work?
In other words, I will not have A/V signal on TV?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Back to basics.  A HDMI cable and port supports 19 pins. 

HDMI Pins.jpg

ARC = Audio Return Channel.  Only used for modern equipment.  The attached equipment must be apart of a 'system' with speakers or something that can attach speakers directly to it - otherwise its pointless.

If the DVD player has a HDMI port to connect to the TV and does not support ARC - it is unlikly the required pins will be connect that is used for ARC.  Even if the pins are connected for ARC, no power is going through it to cause any damage anyhow.  So therefore you can still connect it to the TV and receive a 'signal' - but ARC will be disabled.

Hope that explains things better.