Join now - be part of our community!

Help with KDL32EX503 or BDP S370 connecting to internet via Wi FI

profile.country.en_GB.title
mamou292
Explorer

Help with KDL32EX503 or BDP S370 connecting to internet via Wi FI

Hi, Ive had a KDL 32EX503 tv and blue ray player BDP s370and never connected to the internet as my router is in another room. At the time of buying I was unsure if the dongle would work as reviews didnt seem very good and I have thick walls and the price put me of. Would like it to watch lovefilm and iplayer. Cant find the dongle for sale anywhere now and was wondering if homeplugs or a wi fi bridge would be a better option. I am a complete novice at this and have been trying to read up on it but really need advice on what I am exactly looking for eg. model and if anyone has a similar set up some advive on how to proceed. Dont know if I should connect to TV or blue ray and dont wont to make a mistake in buying the wrong hardware.

Hope this isnt too basic a question Im not too technical

Thanks J

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Have a read through the following thread, as it will/should explain some of your options:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/Televisions/Dongle-to-connect-a-Sony-3D-TV-Model-Number-KDL40HX803U/m...

In regards to deciding which one to connect to the internet, fortunately there is a dual ethernet homeplug solution - such as : HERE

Alternatively, if you are going for a wired/homeplug solution, you could simply add a ethernet switch at the back of the TV, to a single TP Link Homeplug and connect both TV and bluray player, as well as future expandability.

For me, I have my router in the same room (Lounge Room), and I have connected a 20m ethernet cable to the back of the TV (hidden inside some trucking).  I have then added a simple 5 port gigabit switch at the back of the TV, to connect upto 4 other devices (TV, PS3, PVR, Network Media Player)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

PS: No question is too basic, sometimes questions can be too hard :slight_smile:

mamou292
Explorer

Thanks going to work through this tomorrow. Wish I could connect via ethernet but wooden floorboards and two rooms away may not be the look I was hopeing for. Thanks for all the info Joan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, if you have any further questions - no matter how small or large, please ask, and im sure we can help.

mamou292
Explorer

Thanks

I have a couple of quick questions before I start. Just recieved my Wireless internest adapter and thought I might use the blue ray instead of TV.

Since I have never connected to the internet since I bought the TV and Blue ray do I need to do any sort of updates first.. No idea how to do a firmware update or what it even is

It looks like I have to register on my essentials but there is no mention of this in my manuals so unsure if this is neccessary for my model

Am really looking to use this for lovefilm /amazon and netfix if I can in the future

Any help on the steps and order would be great

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Am I assuming that you have the UWA-BR100?

You shouldnt need to update the firmware for the UWA-BR100 to work, however have a look at the support pages for your devices for firmware downloads:

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/BDP-S370

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-32EX503

Firmware is simply additional software or bug fixes for equipment.

Even having done that, once connected to the internet, do a software/network update anyhow.

In regards to Essentials - This has been renamed to SEN (Sony Entertainment Network):

http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/gb-en/home/

There is no Netflix application for your equipment im afraid - hardware limitations - but Lovefilm should work ok. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers

mamou292
Explorer

Its a Netgear wnce3001 wireless Internet adapter I have. Still a bit lost with the irmware update part.So I just sig up for SEN it seems I have to register there before I can use lovefilm according to their site, I assume there is no charge 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You have probably set this up by now, but I had a quick look at the Netgear WNCE3001 - its an interesting device actually, which I never knew existed - so this "could" be a forth option in regards to connecting devices together.  If you could post back on your experiences of this (and does it work as they say), id be interested to know.

In regards to signing up to SEN, there is no charge.  Only when you use things like Video/Music unlimited (Sony streaming services)

Although its been a while since ive used Lovefilm, but I think they've renamed themselves under the Amazon brand now.

Cheers