Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40WE663 clock does not persist time after TV Off/On

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

KDL-40WE663 clock does not persist time after TV Off/On

Hello,

I have a new KDL-40WE663 TV which was upgraded to the latest software shortly after installing.

I have noticed that after manually setting the clock, it loses the time after turning the TV off (at the mains) and then turning it back on, so that "--:--" is displayed instead of the time. The time does persist if the TV is left in standby.

Also, setting the clock to Auto does not get the time at all, it is permanently "--:--" even though there is a good network connection. I've tried a factory reset (following another post where this apparently worked) but I get the same results.

My questions are:

- is it expected behaviour that the (manually set) time does not survive a power off/on?

- where does the "Auto" function look for the time? Is it over the network, using something like an ntp service, or is it over some broadcast signal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @Crowthorne,

I have looked into your questions for you:

1. I found this in the operating instructions (p15):
    This TV does not have a battery powered backup for the clock. If there is a power failure or if you disconnect the power cord, current date and time will reset automatically.

2. Auto time is usually taken from broadcast signal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Cass

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pete_B

Hi Crowthorne, thanks for your post. We're looking into this and will get back to you shortly.

Regards,

Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @Crowthorne,

I have looked into your questions for you:

1. I found this in the operating instructions (p15):
    This TV does not have a battery powered backup for the clock. If there is a power failure or if you disconnect the power cord, current date and time will reset automatically.

2. Auto time is usually taken from broadcast signal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

Hi Cass,

Many thanks for the information. I use my TV for DVDs and net streaming, so it isn't conected to an aerial, so that that would explain why the time is "lost".

Thanks again,

Crowthorne.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Ah I see.  Glad we got to the bottom of it!

Cheers,

Cass