Join now - be part of our community!

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
defiant
New

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

hi, is anyone else having problems getting the bbc i- player on their  freesat tv model  kdl-32w 5810. the set is connected with an  ethernet cable and was working fine untill about 10 days ago. but now  it will not connect.  please find me an answer.:smileyconfused:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

You'd need to speak to the local service agent to see if they would come and check it out in home. Some may well be able to.

I guess it still remains that it worked when they apparently tested it in their labs, so that would imply that the TV itself isn't faulty and the glitch lies somewhere else. My thinking behind looking at the ISP is simply thats in theory thats the only variable between your setup and their setup.

Lookng at the wider picture, as BBC aren't developing iPlayer on Freesat and there are no plans to launch any other IP services on those products, one alternative solution could be to look at one of the netbox (SMP-N200) or Blu-ray products we make. This which would give you far better quality iPlayer experience including HD and another 20 or so video services including Channel Five, Lovefilm, Youtube etc with more being added all the time. As your TV itself is still a cracking panel, this might offer a quicker solution whilst also improving content available to you.

Just a thought.

Thanks

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
sockstango
Visitor

Hi, I've had exactly the same problem, with the same model, also about a fortnight ago. Has been working fine up til then, since purchase over year ago. Sorry I've got no solution as yet. - not sure if the issue lies with the TV or freesat, or compatability with new Homehub.

defiant
New

hi again,  today i spoke to bt on the phone and the service agent applied remote control of my laptop and checked the settings for my network and also removed the firewall settings on the homehub itself. according to bt the service is running fine and the lan cable is connected fine. i have a download speed of 24mbs using my infinity fibre service.  this morning after contacting the md of sony europe i was called by the sony service team who also ran some general tests on the tv, mainly confirming the ip address of the router and checking the software version installed and also pinging the laptop to test the network.  they also now insist that the tv is not at fault and it must be a network fault.  i am thinking of trying the tv in a different postcode area to test it away from my network.  is this something you have already tried, is it feasable for you to do this. is your set under warranty, have you applied for a service centre repair, or will you be doing so.:smileyconfused: please keep me updated and i will do the same.  ps,  where in the country did you purchase your tv and did the fault occur  after a digital  switchover in your area.   regards,   steve m.

sockstango
Visitor

Hi

I noticed on the digital spy forum last night the issue has cropped up recently with a couple of other people having the same issues (see rit73's comments on this link http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1520659 ). I bought the TV in the UK just over a year ago, and it's been perfect up til now. I'm London based, not sure whether there's been any switchovers. Given that we've had the same issue at the same time, with others as well, doesn't seem to much of a coincidence.

I've done a few things as you... reverted the TV to factory settings, disabling the firewall on my hub, checking the LAN connection etc, but to no avail. I spoke to Freesat earlier in the week, who suggested trying most of the things you've done. I'll give them another call.

The issue with my TV happened a few days after I switched to BT Infinity, which I notice you have. Have you had it long?

Kind regards

Mark

defiant
New

hi mark, we have only had infinity for approx 5 weeks, roughly 2 weeks before the fault occured. bt informed us that during the first 2 weeks after connection infinity will be bedding itself in, and self testing etc.  we are in staffordshire and use the mc caffee protection provided by bt. i will be attempting to request a service centre repair  after the weekend.  i presume you know this model is now discontinued.  it seems sony no longer make freesat models,  i wonder why?   i wish you succsess with this issue and i will update any progress on this page.   regards.    steve m.

ansheph15
Visitor

My KDL-32W5810 has the same problem again starting about 10 days ago (this is the third ‘fault’ in the 18months that I have owned it – the last two have been Freesat Sports multiscreen related and have resulted in the Main Board being replaced on each occasion (do a search on here for Freesat Sports multiscreen and you’ll find the thread)

Currently the problems show themselves as:

• the Red button does not function correctly (often will not appear or do anything evene for basic txt capabiltities) and
  • the BBC  iplayer does not work; either by red button or on channel 901 (on 901 it states that the TV is not connected to the internet)

I fully checked my TV Network diagnostics and are all OK showing the TV connected with the correct IP address etc and my network is accessible for video playback etc. The router reflects the correct connection and IP and MAC address for the TV.

I initially called Freesat and they confirmed that the iplayer service was functioning normally. I followed this with a call to Sony; they went through the same diagnostics with the TV, router and then we carried out a master reset of the TV. Still the same problems. Their conclusion was that there is a problem with the TV and there is no solution!! They took my details and promised a call back (nothing heard to date).

My TV was from John Lewis so I went through them and the TV went into Peterborough Video Services as their recommended repairer (also a Sony repairer). I cannot fault PVS, however they have not been able to repair it.

PVS state that Sony are aware of the problem – there are a large number of TVs affected. Sony claim it is as a result of a change by the BBC in the way that the iplayer is sent out (although I question this as why does it also effect the general functionality of the red button as well????); it is a software fault for which there is currently no solution and no timescale. It will hopefully be resolved and solved by an over the air update.

I have the TV back and will now do battle with John Lewis over a replacement TV as it is faulty with no repair available!

I am extremely disappointed with the problems I have had with this model. It seems that every time that there is a change by Freesat that the TV cannot cope and requires a hardware or software update. Surely the Software should be updated BEFORE the changes so as to maintain usability of the TV? Why are other manufacturers not affected???

Good luck everyone. I’ll keep you posted.

mdale9
Visitor

I have a KDL-40W5810 and I have also recently lost the red button.  I couldn't say exactly when since I'm not a massive user of it but definetly in the past few weeks.  I have been on BT infinity since May and it has worked fine so it isn't a connection issue and judging by these posts it seems to be a recent problem.  I have the latest firmware etc.

I've tried getting iPlayer to run on channel 901 but it says there is no connection.:smileysad:

Does anybody know when there might be a fix?

Martin

defiant
New

hi all,  my 32w5810 is still showing all the faults you have  encountered, i am now booked for a service call on tuesday and will advise of any progress here.  i am sure you are all aware that this model is no longer available, but has anyone  been offered a replacement either by sony or from an independant seller.  how many people are covered by the five year warranty, and does this cover software faults.   has this problem occured in the new EX series tvs or is freesat working okay on these models. i sent an e-mail to the sony uk md and had a response the very next day.  perhaps we just need to rattle his cage to get some kind of solid response and acceptance of the faults in these models.  good luck  people.  regards.  steve m.:smileyconfused:

ansheph15
Visitor

Please see my note above - there is no current fix. There may be an OTA update in the future - timescale not specified!!

mdale9
Visitor

Where did you get the email of the MD?  If enough people complain then something might happen.

either post the email here or PM it to me.

Martin