Join now - be part of our community!

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
defiant
New

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

hi, is anyone else having problems getting the bbc i- player on their  freesat tv model  kdl-32w 5810. the set is connected with an  ethernet cable and was working fine untill about 10 days ago. but now  it will not connect.  please find me an answer.:smileyconfused:

49 REPLIES 49
defiant
New

hi, thanks for the advice,  however with over a year left on the contract that is not really feasable at the moment. sadly we cannot get  virgin  by cable, and even the o2 shop in our local town has just recently  been replaced  by a 3 shop.  i will just have to try to find a  no fix, no fee tech expert locally.  regards.  steve m.

camweir
Visitor

By the looks of the posts I have seen, not just on this forum, it is a problem with BT Infinity, as I am watching BBC iPlayer right now on my SONY KDL-32W5810. I can also access the Sony Widgets and have no problem with the BBC Sports Multiscreen or the BBC Red Button in general.

My ISP is O2 and I am very pleased with their service.

O2 Home Broadband Access Package, as currently the local exchange has not been bundled.

mdale9
Visitor

I still have no iplayer service and Sony closed my ticket saying that it is a BT Infinity problem.  From what I am reading here there does seem to be a conflict between the KDL 5810 models and BT Infinity but the fact that I was happily watching iplayer via red button on BT Infinity from May 2011 up until Sep 2011 indicates that that something changed at the sony side of the equation.  (Prior to May 2011 was with Sky Broadband and iplayer was unusable due to max connection speed of 750kb/s, hence the desire to switch to Infinity when my cabinet became connected).

Come on Sony, sort it out, or at least give us copies of older firmware to try out.

M

HillBilly63
Visitor

I have Sony KDL-46Z5800 and have recently changed to BT Infinity and have the Home Hub 3. I cannot get the iPlayer to work at all, and the text function doesn't work either. I am hard wired into the router and all the other services to the router are fine i.e. getting films from the hard drive on the PC.

I was previously with TalkTalk and the iPlayer was fine albeit buffering quite a bit due to the slower download speed.

I too have been pulling my hair out with this and have twice been fobbed off by BT who say they don't support other manufactureres equipment. I have spoken with Sony who say the issue is very clearly with BT who are aware of the problem.

I then spoke to Freesat who I have to say were the most help of all. They say that this is a problem which seems to be affecting just BT customers on the Home Hub 3 router and mainly Sony TV's. They say they are working on it and need to collate all the information to be able to go back to BT to pressure tem into sorting the problrm out, they feel the router is the cause. If you have the problem, ring them and log the problem, they say they have existing BT customers who have been on the Home Hub 2 and the service has been fine but since going onto the Home Hub 3 they have lost the iPlayer.

Freesat stated they would get bact me although this could take a few weeks, but they assured me that it would get sorted as it is a big problem. Their advice was also to recontact BT and be more forceful, I was and got put through to someone who went into the settings of the router and accepted there was a problem on their part, but that I was the first person to report it..............I find this hard to believe. They now assure me that a firmware update for the router will be issued and assured me they would ring back with a firmware fix at the weekend.

I'm not holding my breath but there may be a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

defiant
New

hi friend, this is very helpfull, i also was with talk talk on their fibre optic service before infinity as at the time infinity was not available however  tt  fibre service just crashed one morning and no could restore it. we were forced to cancel the contract. when we took infinity bt supplied us with hh 3.  which is fine for online gaming and other  internet use but not  i-player.  have you been able to try other routers on the system.  where in the country are you based.   regards. steve m.:smileyconfused:

energytab
Visitor

Having just bought a SMP-N200 box, Please - to everyone out there - dont buy it. iplayer is not working on this box any more.

The response from Sony is "its BBC iplayer's fault".

I think its about time Sony either sort this, or offer a refund

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

What ISP are you presently with?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
hedawso85
New

Hi,

We had a BT Infinity upgrade last Friday (09/12/11) and discovered I couldn't get iPlayer on my Sony KDLW405810 TV either. All I got was 'Not Connected' yet the ethernet was indeed connected?! We were using a homehub 2 with BT on normal broadband and though slow, everything worked via it.

I sent a PM to BT via their Facebook page and had a response via email from them the same day, their techy guy rung me Monday and sent me an older homehub 2 for Infinity to try out, but after reading about the drop out issues with wireless I'm not over keen to swap this for my homehub 3 which is working very well aside from the lack of BBC iPlayer.

I'm getting the widgets on the screen okay, but not a full internet connection when I have checked it on the settings in internet. I have put in the hub's I.P address but it doesn't seem to save it, even though it asks me to save it, very odd. Is there anything else I should be doing? I wish this TV was wifi enabled and just needed the ISP key to work. The BT techy guy says he wants me to try using the homehub 2 for Infinity so he can see what the difference is and then with this information change the homehub 3 so the iPlayer works again, anyone else had any input from BT as yet? My son has a Samsung TV and uses the BT Vision box to watch BT's sports packages on and he gets the iPlayers fine, so can only assume there is a strange disharmony between the TV and this new homehub 3 modem? If anyone has solved the problem I'd love to know how, thanks Helen.

Message was edited by: hedawso85

Message was edited by: hedawso85

defiant
New

hi helen, i too have heard  about  hh3 perhaps causing problems ( see my other posts)  and i requested a hh2 to try out.  bt agreed and it should have arrived yesterday but no sign yet.  i do not know yet which version of hh2 they are sending as i believe there is more than 1.   i will update this page when tried and tested. best regards steve m.

defiant
New

my  apologies people,  after  chasing up my request for hh2 from bt they have decided not to send one after all. they kept me on their phone line for over 30 minutes and then informed me if i want to get the i-player while using infinity then i should sign up to bt vision services at my expense. ( no chance)  i now wonder if bt are not blocking i-player on infinity to force the use of bt vision. please share your own opinions on this theory.