Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
ukcjm1
Visitor

Why are you questioning whether Netflix is superior to LoveFilm? Clearly people want it, so what's that got to do with it?

Anyway, in terms of TV shows, Netflix is far superior to LoveFilm, and that's what I'm personally interested in. Also, Netflix has more HD content - since my Blu-ray player was HD last I checked - why won't Sony let me make the most of it?

I'm currently watching Netflix on my PC in my bedroom, while my huge HDTV and brand new Sony Blu-ray HD player sit redundant in my living room. It's stupid and wasteful and all because we're waiting for the service is in "progress". If the software is available to PS3's then surely it can be ported to Blu-ray players??

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Message was edited by: ukcjm1

Message was edited by: ukcjm1

profile.country.en_IE.title
gercannon
New

Hi Catmambo,

Thanks for the update on the netflix situation.  In 2 related queries are there any plans to add RTE Player to BIV TVs.  Also will the film section of Qrioicity be launching soon in Ireland.  It was originally expected about a year ago now.

Thanks,

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi - Yup in constant communication with RTE, hopefully we can get them to speed up develepment! :wink:

Yes Video Unlimited will launch in Eire later in the year for sure - just been a few bumps over rights etc.

So it should also be a good year for Ireland and video services this year!

Thanks

psiops
Visitor

hello

i am wondering if the fact that netflix is not on my blu ray yet is because of the agreement with love film, more than a technicall issue , as some people have linked their machine in the uk to us netflix accounts?

i have ordered a ps vita and have been told that it will ship with netflix so as has been pointed out how can sony games machines play netflix a video service and sony video products cant , unless you link a us account.

Catmambo
Contributor

No - there is no exclusivity deal with Lovefilm. There are many more PS3's than there are are connected BRAVIA's, thus the addressable market is far bigger + you have much more processing power available on PS3 so its slightly easier to work with, thus with a finite pool of resource it makes sense to build out the PS3 version first.

Numerous ways of utilising an overseas proxy or DNS to make any device think you are in another country..

You'll love Vita - its a very impressive bit of kit!

profile.country.en_IE.title
arquinta
Visitor

Reading this thread, I now realise what a complete and utter donkey I've been in purchasing a SMP-N200, which Sony have ensured in Ireland does not allow access to anything anyone might remotely want to watch. Not only that, but (while the rest of the world happily streams on), it's completely and utterly vague as to when such content might be available. This page is completely misleading http://www.sony.ie/hub/internet-tv/entertainment-on-demand, suggesting "Channels you already love, channels you’ve yet to discover; we’ve chosen only the best content for Sony Internet TV", while the actual list available is of interest to only a potential tiny minority. I bought this to watch Netflix, which is legitimately available in Ireland - why are Sony not supporting it? Just to make things 100% clear, I've contact Netflix and they say the ball is in Sony's court - note also that Netflix is available in the US on the SMP-N200. Now I'm faced with either returning the player or going down a shady VPN/foreign DNS route, which will mess up our general internet access and may require a monthly subscription, in order to have decent bandwidth. How come, in this country, we always seem to be at the end of the line for this type of issue?

Meemio
Visitor

Finally connected my Sony Blu Ray BDV-E370 to the internet this weekend after rejigging my setup to allow wired access (no way I was paying for the ridiculously priced wireless dongle, hence the delay).

We were pleased to see LoveFilm listed... YouTube, iPlayer and 5 on Demand will also be handy (really not sure about the rest...!). So we linked our LoveFilm account and then looked to do the same with Netflix - FAIL

I can't get my head around the fact that Netflix is available on the PS3 but not my Blue Ray/Home Cinema system. I mean what would make most sense - watching a movie on a games console (?!) or watching a movie in surround sound? Genius!

I'm also annoyed to find there's no 4OD or ITV player - again available on PS3 so why not Blue Ray?!

All in all I regret the purchase of my Sony BDV E370 as we've had nothing but niggles since we bought it and added expense to add functionality to get the Blue Ray up to the advertised spec (eg. wireless dongle, and wireless speaker setup - so far from wireless it's untrue).

I came to this thread looking for Netflix answers so apologies for going a little off topic - it's just one of the many issues I have my with my Sony product - clearly I'm not the only massively annoyed and disappointed Sony customer...!

profile.country.IE.title
dearg1

can I just add my frustration to the ever growing list of people getting sick of Sony ignoring people in Ireland , I have been a loyal customer of Sony for as long as I remember despite their increasingly erratic quality in recent years , dare I mention Sonicstage software or other shoddy product offerings ( yes I am another one stung with the dodgy 40w4500 that I spent €1500 on and is now almost unwatchable , oh to live in The States where consumer power forced Sony into a recall ) , ok rant over now about tv but I have 3 Sony Bluray players and I am getting seriously annoyed that Sony are ignoring The Netflix issue , it cant be that difficult to send out a firmware update as that this stage i never thought I would say it but I cant wait for The Apple TV to arrive which might just offer some decent connectivity :slight_frown:

ukcjm1
Visitor

It's good to see more people asking for Sony to fix this. I wonder how many are silent.

There are many more PS3's than there are are connected BRAVIA's, thus the addressable market is far bigger + you have much more processing power available on PS3 so its slightly easier to work with, thus with a finite pool of resource it makes sense to build out the PS3 version first.

Catmambo, what do you mean? How is processing power an issue? It's a simple piece of software, no different to many others already on Blu-ray players, e.g. BBC iPlayer, LoveFilm.

And the PS3 market is far bigger? As far as I'm aware, the PS3 is primarly a gaming console. The Blu-ray player I have sitting redundant in my living room was purchased as a Blu-ray player with online connectivity to online services, such as netflix.

Sony need to get their priorities in order.

I'm thinking of selling my player.

freakuno
Visitor

Come on Sony....where's the update (if any) for Netflix on SMP-N200....

Have always bought Sony products with no problems in the past and even took paying the premium of buying a 'Sony' product on the chin but am disappointed with lack of news coming out on this!!!!

Might start looking elsewhere for items that can stream Netflix....LG here I come!!!! :slight_frown: