Join now - be part of our community!

Query on my KDL-48W585B

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Query on my KDL-48W585B

Hi Guys,

I am new to this community and very excited to become a valid member. I have to admit I am in a bit if a pickle with my TV though and would like some expert help 

My question is when watching Blu Ray movies on my KDL48W585B - I sometimes get this grainy effect especially on darker scenes, I also feel like the colour is dim compared to how the image appeared on the shop floor when I bought the TV. I love my Sony Bravia but feel very frustrated as however much I fiddle with the settings (sometimes for the duration of a whole movie) - due to my lack of knowledge I feel like I cannot enjoy the TV the way it is supposed to be. 

I also play PS4 and also feel my settings do not quite work with this either

It feels like the better the technology and the more money you spend - the harder and more complex it becomes to just enjoy your own TV to its maximum capabilties

Any help would be fantastic as I am dying to just enjoy my TV the way its intended

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you've done above:

Ensure you do this for either your Target Input (current device)  or Common (for all devices).

And Scene Select to : General

Settings:

Reality Creation : Auto (see if this helps)

Film Mode : OFF

Advanced Settings:

Auto light limiter : LOW

Live colour : LOW
Detail Enhancer : LOW (or even OFF)

Edge Enhancer : LOW (or even OFF)

Other than that, and the eco settings - I cannot think of any other setting or reason why you would get so much 'noise' on the TV.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What you are experiencing is different display settings depending on what you are watching.  You would have modified the picture settings in regards to watching TV.  However you also need to modify them for other connected devices.

However if you do not require or want different settings on your bluray player compared to the TV.  What you need to do is ensure that the correct picture settngs are on the TV, but under the picture options, ensure that the settnigs are for "Target Inputs = Common".  Then all you have to do is change the picture settings target input on the bluray player to common, and all the settings will be transferred.  I hope this is making sense, as its harder to describe than actually do.

Howhow, to access the TVs picture settings when the Bluray player is on. use the following instructions:

To change TV settings whilst using another device, do the following:

1. On the TVs remote control, press the [Sync Menu] button
  2. Go down to "TV control with TV remote" and press [OK]
  3. You can now use the [Options] button or change any settings.
  4. When done, simply reverse it by pressing the [Sync Menu] button again and choose "Device Control"

There are also other options in the Sync menu of which you dont have to go through that process (unless you need to that is).  Such as "TV Control"

Also, another tip, especially for dim picture, is in the Eco Settings of the system menu, ensure that "Light Sensor" is OFF.

Also have a look at this FAQ:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/faq-best-picture-settings/ba-p/1821711

Hope this helps

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Hi Quinnicus,

Thank you for your message and for taking the time to reply to me.

I have already figured out most of what you detailed in your message. I
can control the remote on other setting and adjust the picture, ECO
settings are off, I set my picture I do not think I phrased myself well
enough so apologies for that.

The trouble I am having is this

- I have configured everything to get a great picture on both TV and on Blu
Ray which is great, however when a dark scene comes on (either on TV or on
a blu ray) the image appears grainy, like the shadow of a character on the
film is made up of tiny dots or a dark room is just full of specks which
then leads me to feel I have actually not set it up right as I am sure a
blu ray movie displaying on a high quality expensive TV should not be
grainy or dull coloured.

Something that crossed my mind is perhaps the sharpness has something to do
with this but even then after fiddling around with the settings more,
nothing changes and after adjusting the colour I can either have
dull/average colour or crank it up Alan Titsmarch's jumper looks like its
been set on fire

I really appreciate your help on this
profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Hi Quinnicus,

Thank you for your message and for taking the time to reply to me.

I have already figured out most of what you detailed in your message. I can control the remote on different devices and adjust the picture, ECO settings are off etc.

The trouble I am having is this -

I have configured everything to get a great picture on both TV and on Blu Ray which is great, however when a dark scene comes on (either on TV or on a blu ray) the image appears grainy, like the shadow of a character on the film is made up of tiny dots or a dark room has this sort of speckled effect which then leads me to feel I have actually not set it up right as I am sure a blu ray movie displaying on a Sony Bravia should not be grainy so then I fiddle some more and then the colour turns dull - it's never ending

Something that crossed my mind is perhaps the sharpness has something to do with this but even then after fiddling around with the settings more, nothing changes and after adjusting the colour and what not - I can either have dull/average colour or crank it up so that it looks like everyone has just taken a strong hit of LSD

I really appreciate your help on this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand your problem now :slight_smile:

Hmm, how to help you is another matter - as you shouldnt be getting a grainy picture on black.  Ok, this is going to be a pain in the butt (for you), but can you list all your picture settings that you use as well as the advanced picture settings.  Also, are you able to take a photo of the problem (grainyness) and post it back here?

The thing is, im struggling to figure out a setting that would either do this, or correct it - so looking for a place to start (if you get where Im coming from?)

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Brilliant! I am at work at the moment but will get something over to you later on.

Thanks so much

:nauseated_face:

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Evening!

Here are the pictures of my set up and a picture of the graininess on a dark image. Also I have realised I am not sure about the eco light setting you mentioned, could you confirm how i turn this off?

Cheers1.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
CaptainLambino

Also settings are as follows

Backlight 6 

Contrast Max

Brightness 50

Colur 60

Hue 0

Colour temp Neutral

Noise, MPEG, DOT NOISE reduction all are  Auto

Smooth Gradiation Low

Film mode auto

Advanced settings

Black corrector Medium

Adv Contrast enhancer Medium

Gamma 0

Auto light limiter Medium

Clear white Off

Live colour Medium

White balance - Have not touched

Detail Enhancer Medium

Edge Enhancer Medium

Skin Naturliser Off

Display Speed Preference - Greyed out but says OFF

LED MOTION OFF

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the picture.  Settings look OK.  Turn of ALL eco settings.  Its located : HOME > System Settings > Eco

Also, just to get things as default (and not auto) - Set Scene Mode to 'Standard' 

HOME > Display > Picture > Picture Mode

I'll get back to you with other suggestions (if I can) a bit later.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you've done above:

Ensure you do this for either your Target Input (current device)  or Common (for all devices).

And Scene Select to : General

Settings:

Reality Creation : Auto (see if this helps)

Film Mode : OFF

Advanced Settings:

Auto light limiter : LOW

Live colour : LOW
Detail Enhancer : LOW (or even OFF)

Edge Enhancer : LOW (or even OFF)

Other than that, and the eco settings - I cannot think of any other setting or reason why you would get so much 'noise' on the TV.