Join now - be part of our community!

Recording is not working on KDL-40RD450

SOLVED
RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Recording is not working on KDL-40RD450

Hello all, just purchased a new tv(KDL-40RD450) 2 weeks ago and today a new HDD, WD Elements of 1TB with USB3.0. I tried in several ways to use the recording function but it is not working. The TV actually records the programme, I can see it stored on the GDD but whenever I try to play it it gives me "Playback not avialable". Also the timer shows 0HRS,0MINS if recording time even if I left it more than 1 minute (instead of showing 1 min or more it shows 0 recording time.  On the HDD it is very few space occupied. The TV stores the titles of the recording but nothing inside the file (looks empty).

So far I tried the following:

- Formatted the HDD to FAT32 (the tv recoginzes it and it registers it)

- Updated to the latest firmware

- Rested back to factory settings the TV

Nothing works so far, any idea why?

Note: I also have a DVD recorder with HDD that is connected via a SCART cable but that is not used (it is used just for analog recording). The record on the TV does not work even if the DVD recorder is turned off and I also tried to unplug the SCART cable out (no result).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

For the English speaking members on the UK forum..... :wink:

From Google translate:

"Dear Sir, Thank you for contacting Sony Customer Information Center, and apologize for the delayed response. Referring to the problem faced by you, if you are using a SmartCase (C +), please unplug the TV and check if you can record without it. If the provider your television does not transmit channels that can be watched without a SmartCase, please ask them to check with another SmartCase, preferably a model different from the one currently used, it is possible that SmartCase The current to interfere with this function. For any problems or questions about Sony products, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you!"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

From my understanding, HDD recording is only available via the USB2 port - can you confirm that you have plugged the HDD into this port?

HDD Recording - USB2.jpg

Also, try de-registering the HDD then re-registering it again.

Sony has this knowledgebase article - but unsure if its any help or not, but posting it here anyhow:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44709/

Cheers

RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Hello, thank you for the reply, I connected the HDD to the proper USB
from start that's not the issue. I tried to deregister it and register
it back again without unplugging and when I try to register it goes up
to 10% and then gives me "HDD registration failed".
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Considering the first step is to get the HDD registered to the TV and fails, I would suggest re-connecting the HDD onto a computer/laptop and follow these instructions - then try once more

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23526/

For some reason, something seems to have corrupted the process of registering it.  Which is why im assuming that 'recorderd' title were not playing back, as they werent being recorded in the first place.

Give it ago again anyhow

Cheers

RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Hello there, here is what I've tried: I have an old Seagate external HDD
which has a separate power supply, thought that can be the issue. The
HDD usb is 2.0 so it is compatible with the TV(I tried that in order to
eliminate possible issues with a HDD that has USB 3.0 and the TV). I
formatted the HDD in FAT32 no result, then I formatted the HDD in NTFS
same thing. The HDD is registering and deregistering without any
issue(for FAT32 and for NTFS too) but the recording is the same. It
shows 0hr and 0mins after the recording stops and when I try to play it
same message "Playback not available". The issue is that the TV is not
writing any data on the HDD except the title of the recording. It also
shows in the info screen 932.4 from 932.5 free space(that MB is used for
writing the title of the recording). I also checked the signal strength
of the channel used it is 90/100 and I do not think that this is the
issue. Any thoughts? I am using the latest firmware v8.518.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am a little confused, sorry.  In one of your replies you say "when I try to register it goes up
to 10% and then gives me "HDD registration failed".  But in your reply above you say that it is registering and de-registering fine.  Hence my confusion?

Im assuming that its not writing data to the HDD (i.e. not recording TV shows and displaying 0hr0min) is that the HDD is not properly registered.

Instead of just re-formatting the HDD, can you try deleting and then re-creating the actual partitions of the HDD itself and then format using FAT32. 

All else fails, ill pass this thread to Sony support.  But try the above first, and if you can clear up my confusion too.

Cheers

RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Hello there sorry for the confusion I will explain from start what I did:
First I used an external HDD WD Elements of 1TB with USB 3.0 port. This
was the HDD that did not wanted to register back after the
deregistration and stopped at 10%.
Second I tried with another HDD an old Seagate same 1TB but with USB 2.0
and separate power supply. This was the HDD that registered and
deregistered okay it was formatted on NTFS and FAT32 but the recording
did not wanted to work neither on NTFS or FAT32. Currently I wiped the
partition created a new one and I am formatting it again in
FAT32(Seagate HDD).

I have another internal HDD of 750GB which is now mounted on a rack with
USB 3.0 connection that I will want to try out if the Seagate HDD will
fail again. I will also want to try out an external SSD same thing
connected to a USB 3.0. If all these will fail please point me into the
right directions. I will come back with results next week.
RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Hello, I tried the internal HDD but with no luck, it does not start because it needs a separate power supply which I can't get. I tried it again with the Seagate HDD in FAT32 using a small piece of software called fat32format from ridgecorop in order to be able to format it over 32GB because windows does not support FAT32 format larger than 32GB. The same result the recording is not working still shows 00H00M the HDD is registering and deregistering without any problem. I also tried it in NTFS same thing. I also wiped the partition I created a smaller one of 50 gb in FAT32 just to try it, same result. Please pass this over maybe someone knows a solution for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this thread to Sony Support who should be contacting you in order to resolve the HDD recording issue you have.  Please post back on the forums on how you get on, as i would be interested to know what the actual problem is myself :slight_smile:

Cheers

RaduNeagoe
Explorer

Spoiler
Hi, I did not get any answer yet from Sony support, when do you think that they will answer me?