Join now - be part of our community!

Mouse pointer freeze

forsberg74
Visitor

Mouse pointer freeze

Hi,

In some cases after the screen of my VGN-S4HP has gone into the first power saving state (where the back ground light dims a bit) my mouse freezes. When moving the mouse around, the pointer is still, but I can see that tooltips and so on is activated where the pointer should have been. I can click on windows, drag and drop and so on, but the pointer remains on the same place (where it was after resuming from the power saving state). It's like an invisible pointer.

The problems goes away if I restart or change the screen resolution.

The problem occur when using the touchpad and/or usb-mouse. It also occur with or without external monitors.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Seawit
Visitor

This is quite a common issue in certain computers configurations. One way to deal with it is to deactivate the option that allows windows to shutdown devices to save power when in idle, on suspension or hibernation modes. Try this:

Right click on the "My computer" icon and choose the "properties" option from the list. Then choose the "Hardware" tab. Then click on the "device management" button. Locate the "USB Controllers" from the listing then in each "USB Root Hub" double click and choose the "power management" tab. Uncheck the option that says " Allow the computer to deactivate this device to save power". Don't forget to reboot. Let me know if this solved your problem. :slight_smile:

forsberg74
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the response but it didn't work. I followed your instructions and unchecked the option for the 5 root hubs. The mouse pointer still freezes in some cases when the screen turns from the dim light to full light.

Is there some way to force the screen to never go into the dim-mode?

/Martin

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I believe you should

1. Right click the desktop, click properties
2. Click the settings tab.
3. Click the Advanced button.
4. Click the tab for your Video card (GeForce Go xxxx I think).
5. Click the Smart Dimmer option.
6. Remove the tick from the 'Enable SmartDimmer . . . " tickbox.
7. Click OK, OK

to disable the automatic dim function.

forsberg74
Visitor

Many thanks! That solved it!

/Martin