Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Drive Problems!

CardiffIrons
Visitor

Optical Drive Problems!

Suddenly I've got problems with the DVD drive on my PCG-K315Z notebook. It's worked OK in the past but now music CDs are very jumpy, DVDs that I have created of home video footage are now temperamental and virtually unplayable but, amazingly, a CD containing mp3 files plays perfectly well!

I am aware that there have been problems with the DVD drives - does anyone know if Sony have sorted this out yet?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Not sure if they have.

Contact VAIO-Link and get yours repaired.

CardiffIrons
Visitor

Thanks for the quick response James. I assume that if I send it back I'll have to do a system reinstall first? Bang goes the weekend then.

Does anyone know how long you're without your laptop if you have to send it back?

Many thanks.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Can be 5 working days, but thats an estimate

CardiffIrons
Visitor

Thanks Kee-lo. Am I right in thinking I'll need to do a reinstall first? Has anyone succeeded in getting a faulty optical drive to work by doing this?

Cheers.

kee-lo_

Yes I think Sony ask you to do this

CardiffIrons
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo. Appreciated.:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sony will DEFINATELY ask for a full system recovery, even if it is doubtful it will solve anything...

In addition I was quoted repairs can take up to 14 days if the problem is quite complex, after talking to Sony ITE.

Be prepared for a long wait...

kee-lo_

You can get an urgent repair but you need a valid reason for it

CardiffIrons
Visitor

Well, tonight (after not using the drive for a couple of weeks) I've stuck in a music CD and it's playing perfectly well!!!!

How does that work then?????:smileyconfused: