Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop keeps crashing!

MCsound2
Visitor

Vaio Laptop keeps crashing!

Hi,

Bought a Vaio Laptop (PCG-K215B) in June ish and have had problems with it! After i had first installed SP2 i had major problems with it crashing loads. The final straw was when it crashed 3 times in less than half an hour so i did a full system recovery. Now the only programs i have on it are XPhome, SP2, and Office XP.

But it does still keep crashing. Not that regularly but enough for it to be a problem. maybe once or twice a day. Sometimes it does it when i am doing loads of stuff online and have a few windows open, but sometimes it just does it when i am not doing anything, so for no apparent reason.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30
Woody27
Visitor

MC,

Do you have access or know anybody with another type of wireless PCI card, as you could give that a try!?!

Did you do the XP SP2 install or did the computer come pre-installed?

If you installed SP2 did you do it with or without the PCI card present? Some updates get a little confused when external hardware is present, it is best to update and then attach the hardware and then let XP do the work!

CW

MCsound2
Visitor

I will have a go at getting another wireless card to try... see what happens.

I did the install of SP2, i probably did have the card installed cos i would have just downloaded straight from win update and just clicked install...

Do u think it would be a wise decision to uninstall and then reinstall SP2?

i also have the office updates, do u think they will have any effect?

thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do u think it would be a wise decision to uninstall and then reinstall SP2?

Yes, it can help

MCsound2
Visitor

Ok, think i have found a solution. not particularly technical but it seems to work! If i take the PCI card out before i turn on the laptop, then turn it on, then plug it in, it seems to not make the beast crash! will keep u informed!

thanks!

kee-lo_

Good solution...

MCsound2
Visitor

Ok, that solution didnt work either. But after trawling thru windows update, buried deep inside, i found an update regarding my Wireless card! if only win update was more user-friendly...It hasnt crashed since i got that update, so we will see, (but that wasn't all that long ago!)

Thanks, again...

kee-lo_

:cool: :pray:

Kei
Visitor

MCsound2, I'd like to say that I have the perfect and only solution to your problem...
I have had the EXACT same problem like you when I bought this K215B.
You'll be surprised at how precise I've clarified the situation, you can look at my thread from Sept 2004:

http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=8994

There is good news and there's some bad news. The good news is that this is the ONLY solution to your problem, and it's definite, nothing else can resolve it. The bad news is that you have to call VAIO-Link and have them collect your notebook and take it to France for repairs.

The problem is a defect in the circuitry in the notebook. It's something to do with the power components. If these are defective, it the cause for what you see to be random restarts(with horizontal lines phases in the screen and then a sudden restart).

If you read my thread, it'll become clear.
Sorry to break the news to you, but that's the ONLY solution.

kee-lo_

The good news is that once it's there it will be fixed.

MCsound2
Visitor

kool. but that's a major pain in the arse. does it cost anything? i really need the laptop i have so many university projects going on at the moment.

Is it a problem with all K215B laptops or just the select few?!

and the lines are vertical, and they dont always happen, does this have any effect?

It always seems to happen when Media player is playing too. which is a lot so that i can have the tunes on the go!

Thanks