Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO recory centre

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jimmy8ball
Visitor

VAIO recory centre

Hi,

I have a VGN-AW31M that kept crashing and so i decided to run the recovery centre, wipe the C drive and start again from fresh.

Trouble is that it has now been sitting at 90% "Installing VAIO Movie Story Template Data" for 4 hours.

Not sure what to do now - I ran the diagnostics check before the wipe of the C drive (via the recovery suite) and that came back ok.

The orange HD light at the fromt of the laptop is flashing every second but seems/sounds like it is not doing anything.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
peshyxp
Visitor

Could be a number of things including the recovery software on the hard drive partition has somehow got corrupted or could possibly be a hard drive failure issue

If you have a set of recovery discs for your laptop I would suggest using these to reinstall the operating sytsem

Do a full clean reinstall using the discs

If not then you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a set from Sony

Or if you have a retail copy of Win7 you could do a clean install of that but you will have to reinstall a whole load of drivers and some of your functions may not work ie bluray player without the original software

You could remove the hard drive and get it tested separately if you know someone that can do a diagnostic check on it for you

Keep us informed on how you get on

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jimmy8ball.

Did you just let it run and did the recovery complete in the end?

:thinking:

jimmy8ball
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Yes I let it run over night and checked again this morning at 08:30 (9 1/2 hours after starting the recovery process) and sadly it was still stuck at 90%, same program trying to be installed and HDD orange light still dimly flashing once a second.

mydearcosmo
Visitor

Is there any possible way for you to do recovery while on that situation? Like try to reset the recovery process while on recovery process? I hope this makes sense.

peshyxp
Visitor

Could be a number of things including the recovery software on the hard drive partition has somehow got corrupted or could possibly be a hard drive failure issue

If you have a set of recovery discs for your laptop I would suggest using these to reinstall the operating sytsem

Do a full clean reinstall using the discs

If not then you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a set from Sony

Or if you have a retail copy of Win7 you could do a clean install of that but you will have to reinstall a whole load of drivers and some of your functions may not work ie bluray player without the original software

You could remove the hard drive and get it tested separately if you know someone that can do a diagnostic check on it for you

Keep us informed on how you get on