Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drhowells
New

Netflix UK has not and will not be available on that TV. You may have been accessing a different country, such as the US version via a VPN or with altered settings.

View solution in original post

201 REPLIES 201
profile.country.GB.title
Quick.Response
New

Hi Catmambo,

It's great to hear that there are plans to add support for Netflix on BIV, so thanks for an update.

From my perspective any interface to Netflix (however in need of an update) is better than no interface at all. When the TV turned on this evening and suggested that an upgrade was available I was hoping that this was Netflix arriving on the TV. ;-(

Please keep us informed of when it may arrive.

Cheers

Batfinkk

Seems there is an immediate workaround...

Netflix US is confirmed to work with UK accounts on Sony TV and Blu-ray.

Thanks

Message was edited by: -Cass-

sparchick
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

again as others have put thankyou for at least responding to the question, I like most people do understand that their may be copyright issues ect. however I find it difficult to understand why these have not been ironed out as it where before the netflix launch, sony and netflix seem to have managed it with the playstation,Microsoft with the Xbox and Nintendo with the Wii ect, why are the sony internet tv's and the bluray players so differant? I myself currently use a netbox to veiw lovefilm, I do have an Xbox but as far as I am concerned that is a gaming machine not a tv veiwing machine, I also believe that LG Blue ray players, Samsung tv's, Roku box and Phillips media players are already compatible with Netflix so it seems to me that their is more to this than Sony are letting on.

I would just like to know what the true situation is so that I can make a decision based on accurate information from a world wide company such as Sony.

These questions are directed at Sony and I would expect a reasnoble answer, if you canot give dates or definitive answers please say so and if possible explain why after all we are your customers and without us you would not exist.

Will their be software/Firmware updates to enable UK based customers using Sony Bravia TV's, Blue Ray         players and Sony Media player smp-n100 to veiw Netflix if so can you give a timetable, if you do not know can you please explain this, your lack of coment on this subject since Netflix was launched is most anoying and frustrating at least put your point of veiw to your customers so that they know what is going on.

Dave

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Dave

Every manufacturer has different work schedules and platforms with different specifications, thus sometimes services don't necessarily launch at the same time.

Can't comment any further on timetables and plans at the moment as we are under NDA's with Netflix as I'm sure you can appreciate, but as you've pointed out you already have access to Netflix via you Xbox which is now actually a pretty competent media platform since the new channels launched in December.

Thanks

profile.country.en_IE.title
raytomany
Visitor

Hello,

I am less forgiving than others about this.

I spent hundreds of Euro last year on a Bluray player,  then some more for the WiFi stick, only to find that YouTube is the  only halfway useful internet site I can access from it (I live in  Ireland).

I have got a Netflix account and can't access that  through it either. If Netflix allow people to connect via XBoxes, as well  as your average Smartphone, I fail to see the problem with enabling it  for more expensive kit like your Bluray player. Nothing to do with foot dragging, indifference or incompetence, then.

I'm  disappointed in what I've purchased. Sony has the brand name,  but has clearly drifted away from attention to customers in a world dominated  now by the likes of Apple and Samsung who anticipate what their  customers want, and provide it. No fuss. No visits to forums like this  in the hope of troubleshooting, only to find the service is not available at all. No  wondering if a Sony employee will deign to visit and answer questions  from their customers.

Please sort this out, and make Netflix appear as if by magic on the list of websites available. You can get rid of the German TV detective series ones instead if you like.

ukcjm1
Visitor

I'd like to add my voice to those calling for Netflix support on Sony Blu-ray players.

We are fast moving into an era of video streaming via the internet. If Sony does not want to be left behind by the likes of Roku, which is now available in the UK for less than half the price of the latest Sony Blu-ray players, then you really need to be supporting Netflix from the get-go.

Excuses such as "not always technically possible" or "makes it harder" are not acceptable in a competitive and innovative industry. It's up to you, Sony. Get up-to-date and relevant when streaming service such as Netflix come about, or consumers will go quickly go elsewhere.

On a final note, it is senseless that Netflix is available on one of Sony's devices which are primarily for gaming entertainment, i.e. the PS3, but unavailable on devices which are primarily for viewing entertainment. Your priorities are skewed.

strollingman
Visitor

I have just purcahsed a Somny Blu Ray player and wish to add my request to make Netfix available for the BR players not just PS3 machines.

If you can have the inferior Love Film then surely the superior netfix would be a step forward

profile.country.en_IE.title
Speedbird1
New

I would like to add my voice for the addition of Netfix tothe New Bravia software.

I was under the impression that Lovefilm and Netfix would be available on my brand new Sony 40HX723

purchased a few days ago. The software is bang up to date but no sign of either of the above on the internet menu. ??  Location Ireland

Come on Sony keep your eye on the ball.

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Speedbird1

Lovefilm don't operate in the ROI yet which is why they aren't on TV's sold over there. Nothing I can add on the Netflix discussion just yet I'm afraid - although I do acknowledge the demand for the service, its still work in progress.

I'd question the comment on Netflix being superior to Lovefilm though, in what sense precisely? Maybe in some areas, but in other areas Lovefilm is arguably just as good if not better...

Thanks