Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
profile.country.DK.title
jetkeep

Could we please ask SONY why there is no app for ITVPlayer and 4OD on there Bravia smart tv.

Is it a question of money to ITV Chanel4 etc. to use the apps?

Or is it Samsung that have paid for exclusive rights for the ITV Player?

Or maybe Sony technology cannot handle these apps on the Bravia units?

Or could it be copy rights for films series, as we know Sony is also a film music company?

Also apple tv does not have BBC, ITV, 4OD or 5OD players, maybe competition for itunes?

peter07
New

16th Jan 2014

Sent to ITV:-

Why can't I get ITV player on my Sony or Panasonic Smart TVs? Why only
Samsung?

ITV reply:-

We are always looking at a variety of options for making ITV programming and associated content available to viewers via various platforms.

Although we currently only support specific Samsung Smart TVs we would hope to provide access to other manufacturers in the future.

ITV strive to deliver as many ways as possible for its customers to utilise the various services we offer. To keep up to date with any changes to current compatible systems please visit our website at www.itv.com.

Thank you for your interest in our application.

profile.country.GB.title
Jaeles
New

Had an email back from Sony today (Mon 12th May 2014) to say that they have no immediate plans to add 4od or ITV Player to the Bravia range of Smart televisions.

I'm thinking that a Roku stick seems like quite a good idea now. Shame it duplicates so much of what I've paid for in the TV!
emdukew
Explorer

A NowTV box is a lot cheaper, (£10), though it doesn't have ITV. However, it's a cut down version of the Roku box, so I checked & that doesn't seem to have it either. http://recombu.com/digital/news/roku-3-vs-now-tv-box_M13083.html

However, according to http://www.v-net.tv/itv-content-goes-onto-now-tv-and-other-sky-connected-tv-services ITV should be coming to the NowTV box, though it's not there yet (or, if it is, it's neither mentioned on the website, nor have I spotted it on mine!) 

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

Could be a solution for me.

Are there any other costs associated with a NowTV box?

Their website states you need to open an an account.

Does anyone know if they pester customers trying to get them to pay extra?

NowTV doewn't seem to be up to handling big events, so I wouldn't want to rely on it for watching something important.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27365610

No worse than BT TV, it seems to fall over regularly too.

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

mcricker
New

I was in a Currys store in Taunton just over a week ago and spoke to a Sony rep. He assured me that 4od was in the works and would be released before this summer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even *IF* it was true - A sales rep has no right to give that information out.  Don't believe everything you hear unfortunately.  If it was me - id make a complaint right there and then on false information.

profile.country.en_GB.title
sony-cat

Yet another update.  Still no 4OD.  Year and 8 months since the first post in this thread.  *sigh*.

ETA: %$£&!!  Just saw the thread about iplayer closing.  Checked my iplayer, sure enough I have that message.  So the update was to lose more channels.  A smart TV is urely the pointless and expensive thing I have ever wasted money on.

tag1_uk
New

Having read all 26 pages of this thread it has left me pretty peeved with all things Sony too.  I have a 3-year old Bravia KDL-40EX723 and BDP-S580, hardly ancient kit.  Through various software updates we've lost the 3D demo clips and from the above thread it appears I'll never get apps for Netflix, 4OD and ITV.  Presently I'm not even sure if I'll get iplayer come the end of this month when the legacy server gets turned off (having always had limited iplayer functionality compared to the web version anyway and losing the radio capability some months ago).  Not exactly smart TV.  It surely should have been possible to spec a 2011 TV wtih a suffieciently powerful processor and sufficiently generic OS to be able to cope with these future changes?  There is no point in buying a more modern bluray player to try to circumvent this since the current Sony ones don't support super audio CDs.  Sony really are doing everything possible to esnure they go bankrupt asap.  Very sad.