Join now - be part of our community!

Camera issues

azzido
Enthusiast

Camera issues

Hi, I would like to collect all camera issues and possible improvements that was spotted so far:

1. 4k video recording stabilization is horrible, causing screen tearing, lags and focus problems.

2. No stabilization in Cinema Pro recording is a shame since it is sony's most advertised mode

We have ois now, why not make use of it?

3. No promised pictures in 21:9 dimension!

4. Many times 2x zoom is not using optical zoom but digital zoom instead

5. Camera launch and switching between all 3 sensors is slow, saving picture is slow too

6. No 4k 60fps mode

7. Light sources at night should be more muted since it is causing flare effect.

8. HDR mode is weak

9. Occasional camera crashes

Did someone found anything else?

60 REPLIES 60
azzido
Enthusiast

Yeah no vapor chamber or similar solution.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@Urrl wrote:

At 60fps the camera shut off soon after 3 minutes today.Screenshot_20190807-175434.png

Are you in a very warm environment? I've just tested my X1 recording at 60fps in 1080p and after 8 minutes, no problem. Phone not even warm. Also, did you have any apps running in the background that could possibly have been CPU intensive?

I was shooting in 2K using Cinema Pro in 40 degree heat a few weeks ago and thats the only time I had problems with the phone overheating, but under those temperatures, I wasn't surprised.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@ToffenDask wrote:

I'm definitely not a photographer, but my wife has been very vocal about how *awful* the shots I contribute to the family Google Photos collection have been since I started using my Xperia 1 - and this is me coming from a puny Xperia XZ1 in the past. I might have a lemon, but interesting to see how others are finding the camera

Well, I for one think the camera on the Xperia 1 is great. I've got, what I consider, some really good shots from this phone. Great colours, sharp (on most) and good in low light. Hopefully the samples I've attached will show up below...

Las Vegas StripLas Vegas StripEiffel Tower, Las VegasEiffel Tower, Las VegasContainer Park, Las VegasContainer Park, Las VegasSan FranciscoSan FranciscoSan FranciscoSan FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences, San FranciscoPier 39, San FranciscoPier 39, San FranciscoContainer Park, Las VegasContainer Park, Las Vegas

Urrl
Visitor

No apps running in background. Air conditioned room. 60fps. This time it overheated and shut down within 2 minutes.Screenshot_20190808-150555.png

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Well, your phone is faulty, so get it repaired or replaced in warranty if applicable.

Get in touch with your local Sony Support service, and take it from there.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@RottenFoxBreath wrote:

Well, your phone is faulty, so get it repaired or replaced in warranty if applicable.

Get in touch with your local Sony Support service, and take it from there.

I agree.

Either faulty or there's something running in the background that's not showing. Have you tried shutting the phone down completely then rebooting?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Settings, find consuming apps.

Maybe there's a clue there.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

In order to give you a better and more comprehensive answer than the last post.

I performed a little experiment for you, as you know in my last post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quB9bEVkJNI&t=54s

The first time I went through taking photos and showing that there are no issues, it mentioned the temperature warning.

However knowing this i figured out what was causing the issue, it was the SCREEN RECORDER that was trying to take over and use the same API as the camera. It COULD be something running in the back ground

So unlike the last post here is something more concrete to get your teeth into and I hope this helps.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
Urrl
Visitor

Out of curiosity I downloaded Filmic Pro for $15 and used the same settings; 1080p at 60fps. I recorded 10 minutes of video with no overheating issues. Looks like Sony's software needs updating. I will keep researching this but so far so good. Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Glad to help:)

For your information, just examined your issue in more depth.

I formatted my phone completely (reset to factory defaults) and took out the SD card.

Making sure the phone had no other software installed I opened up the video app and selected video and 1080p 60fps option. Before i pressed RECORD button the warning 'features will be disabled as the temperature rises'

THIS IS NOT AN ERROR, this is simply a warning SHOULD the temp rise (this is in a room with an AMBIENT TEMP of 10c as i was cooling my computer with LN2 at the time) this warning is simply telling you what will happen SHOULD the temp rise.

So I simply ignore the temp, next pay day I will purchase a LASER temperature gun and map out all the heat spots (front and back ) when recording on this phone at normal room temps.

1080p

1080p hdr

1080p 60 fps

4k no hdr and

4k hdr with cinema pro

SO in short the warning I got and it ONLY comes up ONCE for me i could open up the camera app a 100 times but only on one instance did it display that warning.  It only comes up again if I reset the cache (power button and volume up combo) or should i Reformat the phone.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King