Join now - be part of our community!

phone app icon (1) won't go away

SOLVED
billson
Visitor

phone app icon (1) won't go away

Hoping someone can help. I missed a call and there's a 1 on my phone app icon. I've tried everthing I can to get rid of it but it wont go, its been a couple of days now. I've deleted all call history, force stopped the app and restarted the phone. 

82 REPLIES 82
dmj74
Visitor

So the problem seemed to be solved, but as of a week or so it is back! A shame really that a brand new phone like the Xperia 5 should have a bug like this. Any news on when a fix is available?

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

It'a an Android fault...Ask Google, it spans across multiple Android versions, and multiple brands of phone, it's not a Sony thing, it's an Android notification system bug/error/issue, that Google either cannot or will not fix.

Jonas
Master

@NeluGeolgau19, I'm afraid that I don't have any new information, but I saw there was a lot of new posts in the Xperia 5 board regarding this, so I'll try and push and see if there are any news from our side or from Google (not sure who really is to blame here for the missed calls acting up).

I'll keep you posted!

@dmj74, no news I'm afraid, but I saw that some other users were able to clear it by missing a call on purpose > dragging down the notification bar > swiping left or right on the missed call notification to remove it. Do this before opening up the phone application and it should go away (until you get a new missed call).

This is of course not optimal and I hope there will be a permanent fix released very soon, but it's at least something.

@RottenFoxBreath, I'm not quite sure if this is related to the Google Phone application in general or if there is something just happening on Xperia devices with the Google Phone application.

To be honest, I don't know any other brands that are using this specific application except for Pixel devices, so I haven't browsed any other forums to see if this occurs on other brands. I know some Xperia 5 users installed the "old" Sony phone application and it doesn't occur there.

I guess it takes a bit longer to fix if this is only occurring on Xperia devices with the Google Phone application and it goes faster if it is the application in general.

Jonas
Master

Hello again everyone!

I have updated my original post with new information, but you can also find it below.

The unexpected behaviour is planned to be fixed in a future update with estimated roll out start date 25th of November 2019. The roll out will continue until early December.

Thanks again for your patience while this was being investigated and when you receive the update, please let me know if there has been any change.

Have a fantastic day!

Jonas
Master

Hello everyone again!

I have updated the initial post again with information that it is an update to the Google phone app, so it's not a system update that will be needed to fix this.

Make sure that you have automatic updates turned on in the Google Play store, or that you keep an eye out in there starting from Monday (pretty sure not everyone will receive it at the same time though).

I'm sorry for any confusion.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Told you it was a Google issue...  Grinning_Face_with_smiling_Eyes

It's between the apps, and their notification systems.

It's been like that for years and on different phones from different brands.

First Time I ever saw it was on a ZTE phone, then from the getgo on my Note 4, among others.

B06dan
Visitor

Hello. I still have the same issue. Last update was security patch for 1st of October. When should we expect a new release? Thank you

Jonas
Master

@RottenFoxBreath, yep! Slightly_smiling_Face

As I wrote earlier, I don't know if it is the combination of Xperia device + Google phone app or if it is the Google hone app in general.

Hard to tell as almost all manufacturers are using their own application and it is as far as I know, only some Xperia devices + Pixel devices that use this application (can't even be downloaded on other devices from the Google Play store but you can always grab the apk I guess).

@B06dan, welcome to our forum!

It's not a system update that is required to fix this, the application "only" needs to be updated from Google's side and this update will be available in the Google Play store.

The updated version has an estimated rollout date starting from today (25th of November) and it will continue until early December, so keep an eye out in the Google Play store for an available update for the Google phone application! Slightly_smiling_Face

Kieran2
Visitor

Thanks for your solution this had being annoying me for weeks, I had tried another missed call but didn't use the top notification instead I went into the app👍

dmj74
Visitor

Still waiting for the update. Hopefully it will come soon. 

New bug everyone! Slightly_smiling_Face

The snooze has stopped working on the alarm. I snooze and it just won't ring again in the 10 minutes I have chosen.