Join now - be part of our community!

Question for long time Xperia users

billson
Visitor

Question for long time Xperia users

I've been an xperia 1 user for a couple of months now. Really enjoying the phone and understand Sony will update this with at least the next two versions of android which is nice.

What I want to know is how likely are sony to release a software updates to improve camera performance? It's usable most of the time but in auto mode it blows out the sky and when I switch between different video modes it sometimes freezes. The camera app is like beta software in my opnion. It's capable of taking spectacular photos so the potential is certainly there. 

It's clear a lot of people are having many differnt issues with this phone as with most phones but in your experience with sony will the majoirty of issues be improved/fixed?

Only wanted to know as although I'm satisford with it it would be nice to know that there's good chance it will be improved. If not I might be tempted to try something else. 

Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Sensination
Contributor

Don't count on it. Sony doesn't care about its customers and they proved it many, many times over the years. Why do you think the Xperia sale are tanking year on year? Becaue people are not stupid and they can see that even £300 phones take better pictures and their manufacturers care more about their customers than Sony ever did. They deserve all all the decline and they worked very hard to alienate even their biggest fans over the years!

Do you think if they released a flagship phone costing so much with barely usable camera they wil care about fixing it? I had 4 Xperia phones and Sony fixed only one camera issue and only after huge outcry (barrel distortion with XZ line).

In short, be happy that the camera app even works as this is all you'll get.

azzido
Enthusiast

Unfortunately previous comment is right. 

I am with sony so many years and software treatment is the worst I ever experienced for any of their flagship. 

I think the biggest prove they do not care is that even so simple change like adding 21:9 pictures is still not there and it seems like simple config change... Not to mention that even cheaper x10 series has this option! Then 4k video stabilization and the issue with loosing frames when panning are still there among the other issues for night mode (overblown light sources).

I really doubt but there is very little chance they will change their approach and finally start to care about the software treatment hence the users. 

If not more of us including myself after Xperia 1 will move to other brand. 

mfuad
Visitor

I still hope they will do something in near future but the experience shows that they don't care much. I had Xperia XZ for 2.5 years and was waiting that they will fix the major overheating issues and get rid of watercolor effects. Many users wrote about it here (you can see it on XZ section of the site) but still no solutions. And how could they release a new model with the same major problem? Moreover, Xperia 1 is advertised as a phone with great camera and  filming features (Cinema Pro app)...and overheating while using it is an epic fail.

They are stressing out the 21:9 format but don't have an option to shoot in 21:9 format in main Camera app?

Fingerprint scanner is another major issue on this phone - still no solution and no one from Sony has anything to say about it...

Announced in March, released in June, I mean they had enough time to test it and still it feels like it is a beta version of the phone.

Unfortunately it seems like they don't really care.

profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

if sony receives enough reports of bugs in their devices, they might do something about it. so just keep reoprting those bugs ,, https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

I am the biggest sony fan going, almost every product i have in electromnics is Sony -except Playstation I wont have that as im not a Console Peasant:P PC Master Race here :P:P

However even as I who run the Sony xperia fan channel on youtube (please subscribe)

I feel really let down by Sony as of late, buggy software, the care i love sony for is not there.

Even the CinemaPro feels unfinished, fancy doing a professional app -with no support for Gimbals?

To SOny's credit SOME issues are addressed, such as the camera app photo taking a long time to take a photo etc and the finger print scanner is better.

The hardware is fine but that stupid six month release cycle is KILLING Sony mobile!

I fell in love with sony phones from the z5 premium then the xz premium and even the XZ3.

However the software is not even beta-it feels at Alpha stage and not checking for 4k stability really is something that is an alpha-stage check.

Sony are now responsible to improve their software.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Ha-Ha, shameless plug for your channel there...what was it?, Sony Xperia Fan Channel was it.!

I agree with the products and services in the past, I think I started with the Xperia range with the R800i, the Xperia Play, which even though it's outdated, is still a cracking alarm clock with dock, and emulation machine, with the slide out pad and buttons, and totally agree with their software..My tv needs another update due to them borking the basic options, so yeah, their software programmers/testers and the QA team need a good kick.

billson
Visitor

Not the replies I was hoping for but expected them unfortunately. Really like the phone but its not so good that I wont be tempted by anything else this year. Might try the xperia 5 if I can get the noise cancelling earphones with it though. Interested to see if battery life will be much better on the 5 and if the screen is any brighter. Anyone know if this is an LG or Samsung OLED panel? 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

You really, really need to learn to shoot in manual mode, with Sony phones/cameras.

Auto mode is not the way to go, and sadly, seems to be what most manufacturers are doing, making Auto mode the go to mode..if they get that perfected then the masses are happy, I mean, DxO scoring is all about the Auto mode, and that's clear with their absolutely idiotic scoring for the X1.

But to be brutally honest, manual mode is soooo much more rewarding when a great photo is taken and regraded/coloured, etc by yourself, that's when they look professional, and not just like the millions of crap pictures that fill instagram/facebook, etc.

It makes me laugh, because it's just like, "Here, press this button/screen, you'll take an amazing picture and don't bother about anything else, cause our camera is the best thing since the last best thing."...but it never seems to be like that in real life.

It's quite funny, as the people I work with, with their latest Samsung/LG/Huawei phones, all manage to take crap pictures in Auto mode, Dogs, Cats, Plates of food, bad holiday snaps, selfies, etc and some gripe that the photos they take look nothing like the ones they see on the forums/adverts..and when you try to explain that they were probably taken in manual mode then graded by the taker, they don't seem to quite get it.

Personally, with the Xperia phones I've owned, manual mode is the way to go, auto is a bit lacking, compared to other brands, but manual mode outdoes most other brands, IMO.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

@RottenFoxBreath wrote:

Ha-Ha, shameless plug for your channel there...what was it?, Sony Xperia Fan Channel was it.!

I agree with the products and services in the past, I think I started with the Xperia range with the R800i, the Xperia Play, which even though it's outdated, is still a cracking alarm clock with dock, and emulation machine, with the slide out pad and buttons, and totally agree with their software..My tv needs another update due to them borking the basic options, so yeah, their software programmers/testers and the QA team need a good kick.

HEY hey-if  you dont tell people about it-you dont get Grinning_Face

Just saw the new update-still no stbility fix. I wonder if the xperia 5 has the same issue.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King