Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 Compact

MScorpionZ
Visitor

Xperia 1 Compact

Hello

Why is there no compact flagship among new phones?

I look forward to flagship phone with screen of 5-5.5 inches

Hope, I'm not alone?

32 REPLIES 32
Tizer
Contributor

I'm very disappointed too that there is no new flagship compact.

J-Smith
Visitor

Indeed, here in Europe the Sony compact models often appeared on a local retailer's top 10 and even top 5 list of all phones sold.  Sony has a unique franchise with the high end compact models, and it would be puzzling if they were to drop it.  The last compact was too thick (12.1mm) though. 

I would like to see a <5 inch compact, with the current small or no-bezel designs the device could be small.  My first Xperia was a 2011 Ray with its 3.3 inch screen it was tuly tiny!  The modern equivalent would have a ~4-4.5 inch screen!  There are lots of people who need from time to time the full functionality of a smartphone but who do not spend hours on it a day and don't want a large screen. 

Sony's market share is unfortunately so small that if only 0.5% of people want a top compact, it moves the needle meaningfully for them. 

Fizz_daz
Visitor

Me to. I hate large phones. For what I want a smaller screen is perfect I use it as a phone rather than a fully blown multimedia experience! I did have an xz2 compact but the software and hardware execution was soo poor I have gone back to my x compact...

come on sony give us a high end small phone!!!

Machiaveli
Visitor

a5305db98383c89888e1d4c3fd6f32d6.jpg

Next Sony phones Unamused_Face

You're on the right track for this Sony...

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

It is a shame that there aren't any compact options, I don't like the compact versions but there are a lot of users that do. 

Although there are foldable phones now, I think that this will work great for a Xperia, imagine folding/unfolding the Xperia 1, from 167mm to half that, that will be practical for all users. 

@Machiaveli 

lol

Machiaveli
Visitor

I laughed too when I found this picture but in an upcoming future we will have phones like this. For now the new Xperia 1 (and for that matter current phones from others brands) is a huge step back from the past when phones were COMFORTABLES to carry on, using them one handed.

Sony understood that with its compact line of phones and it was smart.

Nowadays it just follows others brands by making non logical choices (ridiculously big phones, no more headphones jack, no more compact phones).

At least after a Tablet Z, Tablet Z2, Z3 Compact, a Z5 Compact, 2 XZ1 (dual sim as Sony didn't offer a dual sim compact in 2017. One as a spare due to ridiculous current phones), I know which will be my next phone when I will not need a second sim anymore: an XZ1 Compact. Thank you Sony for helping me choosing Grimacing_Face

AlexSeredin
Visitor

You're definitely not alone. I owned 3 Sony compact models and I really wanted them to show a new compact flagship. They even seemed to be developing one according to leaks on case producers: 

https://www.olixar.com/carbon-fibre-sony-xperia-xz4-compact-case-black

For now I'm very disappointed, but let's hope for the best, maybe they'll change their minds.

RandyWithiPhone
Visitor

here, here!  more glass makes a phone a pretty brick

Lukalumen
Contributor

I think in regards to size and the fact smaller bezels allow for larger screens, the Xperia 10 is the compact version...

Again, this is where the Sony marketing genious comes up... They could have called them Xperia 10 Compact and Xperia 10 Plus, but no, they had to get rid of the name rhat made their phone famous with people into smaller phones.

The Xperia 10 is basically more compact than the XZ2 Compact. It's slightly taller, a tiny bit wider and lighter, and much thinner.